ANNOUNCEMENTS

******** COMMENTS FROM THE RING IS PUBLISHED WEEKLY EXCLUDING HOLIDAYS ***** ********

ANNOUNCEMENTS 2

****** [EVENTS] ....**** ... * ********

Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Possible Rematch?

ENTRY 266


What Now?

Coach Richard has suspended me from sparring for a week.
That is fine, since there are other things I want to work on.

He also thinks that I was suspended by Boxing Ontario.
Nobody from Boxing Ontario mentioned a suspension to me.
They usually only suspend you if it is recommended by the ringside physician.
I went through a 5-minute post-bout exam with the ringside doctor, and he said that everything was fine.
Therefore, until I get word from somebody at Boxing Ontario, I am considering myself to be 'active'.
However, if I am under medical suspension, it will mean not training at Stockyards for the duration of the suspension. It means no boxing activities are allowed.
I can still do other things like work on cardio, but I can do that at Bloor just as well.

Other than a rematch, as I will discuss in the next session, I have plans for my future in boxing.

There are a couple of charity events I want to go into. One hosted by Dewith's Boxing Studio, and one that is hosted by Kingsway Boxing Club.
The charity events are fun to do.
I will also do an exhibition, if Richard wants me to do one.
Other than that, I have no immediate plans for competition.
I might consider moving down to a lower weight class, but I will have to discuss that with by physician first. I will want his advice as to how low I can safely go.
When I dropped to 182 lbs in the spring, my doctor told me my weight was perfect, but I could not get any opponents in that class. They were all heavier,
As soon as I moved up to 190 lbs, I got an opponent right away.
I am confused as to what to do.
Right now I will just stick to my plans, and regular training schedule.


Paul "The Brick" vs. Andy Rogonia II? 

I want to fight Andy Rogonia again. I am hoping to do so by the next Stockyards card in December.
There are two reasons for that, 
One is, I have been studying the playback, and I have noted all of my mistakes. I know I can do better. I know I can take this guy.
Secondly, who else is there? 
I have finally found a guy who is a close match.

I lost that bout, yes, but I could have just as well won.
I had the first round, but in round two, I pissed around, and screwed it. He took advantage of my screw-up.
That is what sport is all about. Finding your opponent's weakness, and taking advantage.

Going forward, there is going to be no more screwing around.
I work hard at the gym, but I am too nice.
I have said this before.
Boxing is a combat sport. I have been putting too much emphasis on "sport" and not enough on "combat".

Richard is a great coach in that he like to teach his boxers technique. He wants his athletes to box properly.
There is nothing wrong with that,
However, not all coaches are like Richard, There are a few that teach their boxers to kill. 
Seriously.
Therefore, one needs to take the basics what Richard teaches, but expand on it, You need to put the "combat" into the combat sport.
Yes, box properly, but you also have to remember that for the time between bells, that man in front of you is your enemy. You are at war.

It is a lot about playing mind games. They call it "psych-out". 
Every human has an instinct that keeps us safe. It is very strong. It is for that reason, we don't like to be hurt. Therefore, we avoid things that can hurt us.

Combat sports is based solely upon that instinct.
If you are facing a guy who is aggressive, you tend to back down.
That is why in such sports, it is important to be aggressive first.
In boxing, that means throwing and landing the first really hard punch. Your opponent will be "psyched-out", and not able to concentrate, If you hurt him, he will be thinking about being hurt, instead of thinking about his next move, or yours.

That is exactly what Andy did to me.
He hit me so hard, left--right--left hook combination to the head. I had never, ever been hit that hard before, and it threw me off my game. I completely forgot everything I was taught, all of the suggestions from my coaches and team, and my game plan. It all went right down the toilet, because my instinct kicked in.
Then he come in with a right cross, and nailed me on the jaw, because my guard was down. I was still thinking about being hurt earlier, and wasn't concentrating. 
At that point, the referee stopped the bout.

I should have hit him really hard first, which is one of the things suggested by one of my team members.
However, I did so well in the first round, I thought I could just coast along.
I was very wrong.

Starting now, I am going to work on power. Hitting really hard,
I used to go easy on my teammates during sparring, but that is going to stop. It doesn't help, because I take that attitude into the ring during competition. I bring the "sport", but forget the "combat".

I am also going to reserve sparring sessions for those times when it can only be used to help me improve my skills. There is going to be no more of this sparring just for the idea of sparring. From now onward, there will have to be a very good reason.
If I can improve my skills in other ways, such as pads or bag, or shadow boxing, I will do that instead.

To you, Andy Rogonia up there in Orangeville, I'm waiting for you. 
I'm not going anywhere.


======================================



"The Brick" is an amateur boxer certified by:














"The Brick" is a member of the Stockyards Boxing Team, and trains 4 times a week at:




215 Ryding Ave. Toronto





"The Brick"

Stance: Orthodox  (Left lead) 
 Style: Offensive-Aggressive
Status:  ACTIVE 
WEIGH-IN
   Current:  189 lbs / 85 kg 
                                                                        




No comments:

Post a Comment