ANNOUNCEMENTS

******** COMMENTS FROM THE RING IS PUBLISHED WEEKLY EXCLUDING HOLIDAYS ***** ********

ANNOUNCEMENTS 2

****** [EVENTS] ....**** ... * ********

Monday, November 22, 2010

Boxing Plus



What do you do when the coach does not show up for a scheduled class? Coach yourself!
On Saturday my coach, Tim, at the other gym, for some reason was not there. I remember what he said after the last session, "Be here by noon next Saturday". OK, I am, where are you?
I like this coach, because he is one of the few that actually trains me seriously. The problem is, as mentioned, he is not always there for our sessions.
I waited until 12:30, and then decided to do my own training.
This would be a good time within this blog, to share my training experience with you.
To be a boxer, one has to be top physical condition at all times. As I mentioned once before, my conditioning is pretty good for my age.
Here is a quick look at a boxer’s training:
Training is based on the length of a round, which is three minutes. Therefore, everything done in training is done at three minute intervals.

::Skipping 3 x 3 mins
::Knuckle Push-Ups 3 x 30
::Heavy bag/Technical 5 x 3 mins.
::Speed bag 3 x 3 mins.
::Footwork/Technical 2 x 3 mins.
::Shadow Boxing/Technical 3 x 3mins.
::Sparring 3 x 3 mins. (when possible)


Knuckle push-ups, fun wow!

Well, there is more, but that is the majority. Usually we train a minimum of three times per week for an hour to 90 minutes. Although, I go every day, because I have "getting-out-of-shape-obia".
The gym owner was there on this day, and he asked I would help him coach the class. I agreed, and I went on to assist in teaching. The students on this day were girls, and although I don’t like girl’s boxing, I can’t refuse to teach them. One of the reasons I don’t like women boxers is that they suck. It is very apparent when you try to teach them. As much as I hate to say it, men are easier to teach this sport.
After class was finished, the gym owner invited me to join the Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu classes. Wow, me? Imagine me as a jiu-jitsu artist in addition to being a boxer? Double the weapons! Yes! Starting next week, I will be learning another deadly art. Cool. What I can not do with my fists, I’ll take care of with a good hold.
I guess this will officially make me an MMA artist. Don’t they make a lot of money?

Paul "The Comeback Kid"

3 comments:

  1. Just wondering what gym is this at? I am looking for a place with both boxing and jiu jitsu.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the Toronto Mix Athletics Club at The Fitness Center, near Lawrence and Keele.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OT: I think all of us would love a rematch between Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao. Question guys,is it really possible? Even though Pacquiao is now recuperating from a shoulder injured surgery, there is still a possibility for a Mayweather vs Pacquiao 2 rematch.

    ReplyDelete