ANNOUNCEMENTS

******** COMMENTS FROM THE RING IS PUBLISHED WEEKLY EXCLUDING HOLIDAYS ***** ********

ANNOUNCEMENTS 2

****** [EVENTS] ....**** ... * ********

Saturday, March 3, 2018

The Return of Captain Hook

  ENTRY 411


THE RETURN OF CAPTAIN "HOOK"

Hello all. Welcome to another "Blue Corner". 
It has been a very interesting week for me.

First of all, last Saturday at Stockyards, it was very different for me to be watching a boxing card like a normal person instead of through a viewfinder.
It was a great time, and my teammate, Cat, won her bout. I was surprised that she had won because she had two standing-eights against her. Although standing-eights are not supposed to count towards scoring, we all know that they do...most of the time.
My other teammate, Adrian, had his bout cancelled because his opponent didn't show up. 
Congrats to Cat from Xtreme Couture Toronto for an excellent win.

Speaking of 'win' and 'winning', I have been working very hard with my personal coach lately. 
I am going to be more than ready for my next bout, which will hopefully be soon. It has been three months since my last time in the ring.

Currently, since I don't have a bout coming up, I am training on my own three times per week, plus once per week directly with a coach.

I always do: core training, heavy bag, shadow boxing, and at least 30 minutes on the treadmill. I have also been working on the speed bag lately which is something I have not done in a while. I became rusty at it. I used to be really good.

When I train with the coach, we still work on footwork. 
However, the infamous "hook" has returned. 
Those hard-core followers out there know how much a absolutely hate throwing hooks.
Well, this coach wants me using them more...at lot. Therefore, hooking has become part of technical training. Lots of practicing throwing both hooks correctly. In addition to the 'on the toes' drills. In some cases throwing hooks while 'on the toes'.
He is also working on a couple of other techniques with me. Including one of my new favorite techniques of which I will not reveal here at this time.

On Wednesday's sparring session, the coach split the ring into quarters which forced us to work on inside techniques.
It was an interesting session.
It turned out to be something else we started working on. Again, inside techniques have never been one of my strong points, but coach is doing a good job of helping me improve on all of my boxing skills.

I have been noticing a steady improvement since I joined Xtreme, but the personal sessions are invaluable. 

My contact expires in May. 
That year went by fast. 

Will I stay with Xtreme? 
I will have to see how things go until then.

If all else fails, maybe this guy could coach me:



▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒


Then again, maybe not.

═════════════════════════════════════════════════════════

--Paul 'The Brick' Brec, 2017 Golden Gloves Silver Medalist



No comments:

Post a Comment