ANNOUNCEMENTS

******** COMMENTS FROM THE RING IS PUBLISHED WEEKLY EXCLUDING HOLIDAYS ***** ********

ANNOUNCEMENTS 2

****** [EVENTS] ....**** ... * ********

Saturday, May 12, 2018

When the Coach Is Unhappy, We Are All Unhappy


ENTRY 419





WHEN THE COACH IS UNHAPPY, WE ARE ALL UNHAPPY

Saturday team training did not go well. 

First of all, I was a little late. Not by much. Just an hour.
I was under the understanding that we started at 11.
When I arrived, they were already well into the circuit training.
We were doing some training outside and the coach saw me exit the bus. I could already tell he wasn't pleased.
We actually started at 10. However, it wasn't just me he was pissed at.

Apparently, the entire team performed very poorly throughout.

In a way, I am happy that I wasn't there, but that does not let me off the hook.
Although I was not late on purpose, I am still part of the team. When the team screws up, we all screw up.

It really bothers me when the coach is upset.

I have a lot of respect for the coaches for one major reason.
They have taught me more about boxing over the past year than I have learned in my entire seven years of returning to boxing.

When you have coaches that care about the athletes, but the athletes don't do what the coach wants, the coach gets upset. 
Of course.


When you don't work hard, it is disrespectful to the coach, but it also doesn't help the athlete. You are cheating yourself. 
The coach can not do the exercises for you. He can only tell you what you need to do to be a better athlete. The rest is up to you.

The coach only wants to build his athletes. Make them the best they can be.
He can not do that if the team does not cooperate with him, and that makes him frustrated.

The coach was so angry that he canceled Saturday's sparring session.

As much as I respect the coach, I did not agree with that.

Sparring is an important part of training. As important if not more important than all the rest.
I have some things that I need to work on for the Bronze Gloves, which is only three weeks away.

However, the coach did express his opinion of the team's performance.

I feel bad for being late, although it was a mistake. I also feel bad that the coach was unhappy with us due to our poor training effort on Saturday.
With a major tournament less than a month away we should be busting out butts off.
The coach was right for being upset.

My apologies for misunderstanding the start time. I will make sure to arrive on time in the future.

For my teammates and all other athletes, two important messages:



═════════════════════════════════════════════════════════

--Paul 'The Brick' Brec, 2017 Golden Gloves Silver Medalist






No comments:

Post a Comment