ANNOUNCEMENTS

******** COMMENTS FROM THE RING IS PUBLISHED WEEKLY EXCLUDING HOLIDAYS ***** ********

ANNOUNCEMENTS 2

****** [EVENTS] ....**** ... * ********

Friday, January 18, 2019

If It Ain't Broke...

    ENTRY 449


BRAMPTON OR BUST

My coach told me yesterday that I was going to Brampton.
Personally, I am thrilled since I have never been in the Brampton Cup before. 
I went last year, but if you remember my bout was cancelled.
Let's hope that does not happen this time.

I hope the club gets a hotel room like in Niagara Falls. I know Brampton is not that far, but the weigh-in is at 8 in the morning and they are held at the hotel. 
It is a huge freaking pain in the ass to get to Brampton at that time in the morning on a weekend without a car. 
It would be easier to just stay there overnight.


IF IT AIN'T BROKE...

Okay, so I have to admit that some of my boxing techniques are based on Mike Tyson's techniques. I also have to say that some of my coaches are not huge fans of Mike Tyson's way of boxing. 
That has lead to some conflict.
I have adopted his form of defense. Both gloves up with thumbs pointed out to the sides.
It works for me quite well. However, one of my coaches absolutely hates it when I do that.
He insists that I hold my gloves further away from my face and apart so I can parry.
Okay, but I don't feel comfortable defending that way. I feel that there is too much room for something to get through, and I prefer to block rather than parry. Mike's way doesn't allow anything through and it works for me.
I can understand coaches making suggestions when an athlete is doing something that isn't working, but what I am doing is working, so why change it?

WORKING ON BODY DEFENSE

While on the topic of defense, I found out the hard way this week that I still need to work on body defense. Even though Mike's defense works great for me against Head Hunters, the rest of my body doesn't agree.
Sparring was tough on my ribs and abdomen area this week. I am still in pain as I write this.
One of my sparring partners likes to go after the body. He seemed to have a very low hit ratio when trying to hit my face and head but was much more successful at landing body shots.
Working on body defense will be a priority going into the Brampton Cup.

I know some of you are thinking that is the reason the coach wants me to change the way I defend, but holding by hands further from my body is going to make defending my body more difficult. Won't it?

I am going to speak with all the coaches about this to find the best solution because there is no way I am going into the Brampton Cup with piss-poor body defense. 
Especially with all the masters currently registered for the Brampton Cup having very few bouts or none at all, they are for sure going to be very aggressive against a guy with 9 bouts.
I have to be ready for that.


BRINGING HOME THE CUP---AGAIN

Last year Cabbagetown Boxing Club won the Brampton Cup cup.
Honestly, I didn't even know there was a physical cup. I thought that was just a name, but no, there actually is a Brampton cup. It is currently sitting on a shelf in the Cabbagetown Boxing Club. I never though to photograph it. I should have.
Anyway, it is given to the team that has the highest percentage of wins during the tournament.
That puts pressure on me. Not just myself, but all of the Cabbagetown boxers. We want to bring home the cup again this year.
Best of luck to my teammates. Everyone work hard this next couple of weeks. 
Let's show the world that the best boxers are from Cabbagetown.

═════════════════════════════════════════════════════════

--Paul 'The Brick' Brec

MASTERS BOXING ON REDDIT

No comments:

Post a Comment