ANNOUNCEMENTS

******** COMMENTS FROM THE RING IS PUBLISHED WEEKLY EXCLUDING HOLIDAYS ***** ********

ANNOUNCEMENTS 2

****** [EVENTS] ....**** ... * ********

Friday, January 11, 2019

Leave It To Me To Piss Off A Radio Station ~ Karma Got Me

    ENTRY 448

I'VE BEEN TOLD

After I heard morning host Stu Jefferies on Boom 97.3 singing along to Neil Diamon's 'Sweet Caroline', it prompted me to post it to the Reddit community r/radio. 
I figured it would create an interesting discussion, and after all, that is what the internet is for.
I posted a video of the radio recorded while Stu was "singing", and called it "Annoying Morning Show Host"

It did start an interesting discussion.

I even received a response from the program director:

First of all, thank you u/paulbrec for posting this. Allow me to chime in as the Program Director of boom 97.3, Toronto. When Stu first started doing this, I was all..."WTF, is he doing?". The old school radio guy in me scratched his head and thought "that's bad radio". Then, I realized it for what it was: a morning radio guy having fun, breaking the rules, being DIFFERENT and relating to the 1000's of people that do the same thing when they hear the song. BTW, have you ever been to a Neil Diamond concert?

Then, the audience chimed in and they LOVED IT. Well, 97.3% of them did - so, it is what it is. If you don't like it, don't listen. If you do, sing a long. Also, it's not like you can't find this 50 year old song (as of this year) on its own somewhere and listen to it however you like. Kudos to Stu!

In addition, on Friday morning, Stu read the post on his morning show and he was very nice about it. Ultimately, he said that it was all done in good fun.
He handled it well.

It is just that when I worked in broadcasting, talking over the music was considered unprofessional.
I guess things have changed, and with all due respect to Stu Jefferies, being different on the radio makes for an interesting show.

Read the Reddit post HERE.


KARMA

Sparring was rough on Friday morning.
We are ramping up for the Brampton Cup and I asked for more aggressive sparring.
That I got.
I caught a few more punches than usual. I learned how to block punches with my face.
Rougher than the usual session.

I was beginning to feel like Karma was getting me for what I posted on Reddit.


═════════════════════════════════════════════════════════

--Paul 'The Brick' Brec

MASTERS BOXING ON REDDIT

No comments:

Post a Comment