ANNOUNCEMENTS

******** COMMENTS FROM THE RING IS PUBLISHED WEEKLY EXCLUDING HOLIDAYS ***** ********

ANNOUNCEMENTS 2

****** [EVENTS] ....**** ... * ********

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Is Tai Chi Good For Boxers? Let's Find Out!

Yes, you read that correctly. The big, bad boxer has tried Tai Chi Chuan.
In an interesting turn of events, Richard Souce has hired a Kung Fu master to teach at Stockyards Fitness. This now makes Stockyards the only fitness center in Toronto that teaches Chinese Arts. Yes, there are martial arts schools that teach these, but not a fitness center.
It looks like Rick is getting very aggressive when it comes to getting new members.  I have heard that he has recently spoke with the manager of the Ryerson Rams hockey team, who play at George Bell Arena, and he is trying to get the entire team to train at Stockyards. If that happens, that is going to be a huge boost to his membership drive. All those players telling other people about how great it is to train at Stockyards!
One thing about Rick is that he is not money-hungry like some other gyms, not mentioning any names (Kingsway). He told me himself that he likes teaching, and would be perfectly happy just breaking-even. Honestly, he is putting a lot of work into this, and I feel that he deserves all the members he can get.
The new instructor is Tony, and he is a Chinese Martial Arts expert. He is a really nice guy, so I thought I'd give him a chance, and try his class.

What does it look like when a boxer tries Tai Chi? Answer: Dork.

Anyone who does not believe this art works, needs to try it. This is actually based on Kung Fu, and can be used for self defense. The idea behind this is, a lot of stretching and breathing. Some of the movements can be used for blocking strikes.

Yeah, I got it....I think?
 It is all about getting everything into one fluid motion while controlling breathing. It seems simple from the outside, but once you try it yourself, you will learn otherwise.

OK, so I hold the ball like this?
I guess you are all wondering, will I be taking this class again? The answer is "Yes". There is a lot more to learn and I feel that this could at least help with my boxing training. I will be going every Sunday I can to learn more about this interesting Chinese art.
Tony also knows weapons, sword and Bo Staff. Maybe he will teach me those too. Yeah, imagine me with a sword?
TAI CHI CHUAN DEMO AT STOCKYARDS GYM
To sum up about Stockyards, it is great to see this is working out for Richard. He deserves it. He is working very hard, and is not being greedy about it. Congratulations, Rick. Looking good.
This past Saturday, Rick let me do some sparring with Junmar. I was really worried that Junmar would make me look like an idiot. Quite on the contrary, he was a great teacher. However, Rick did say that if I wanted to continue sparring, I would need my Boxing Ontario certification. I hope he understands that I am kind of reluctant to do that. It is a $57 fee, plus regular physical check-ups, and about 75 forms to fill in. It is not just the money, put it is a bit of a pain in the ass. I don't mind doing it, if it is going to get me somewhere. However, remember the disaster at Kingsway? That whole experience was a huge waste of time. I really need to sit down with Rick and discuss this. If he wants me to get a competitive certification, and will take the time to train me for such, then I will happily get certification.
Before I finish up today's entry,  I would like to comment about Bloor Fitness. I have to say again, that I really like it there. However, I am noticing a lot of drama going on there. Reading my past entries on this blog, I have noticed that a lot of the drama that restricts my goal to become a boxer again, is surrounded around Bloor.  Last week's "blow-up" by Paul, was almost the last straw. One of the reasons I like Bloor Fitness is that they really do have great customer service. However, I have been working in customer service myself for 12 years, and the rules of customer service are very easy. Rule Number One: The customer is always right...Rule Number Two: If the customer is wrong, see rule number one.
Even if Paul is right about the whole sparring thing, he should not be lecturing the members. We are his customers, and keep him in business.
With all of the improvements that are going on at Stockyards, the need to train at Bloor is decreasing. Although I like to convenience of Bloor Fitness being close and open 24 hours, I do not need all the extra drama. As I keep saying, "I just want to be a boxer, damnit." I think I am going to make this my nickname for now.
I appreciate what the staff at Bloor are doing, but I think there is a lot of "infighting" between the staff, manager, and owner. I may notice it more because I have been there a long time, and know everyone there. I hate to say it, eventually other members are going to notice it as well. That is not good for a business.
Yes, I am keeping my Bloor membership for now. I will be going in for Thursday's sparring, until "Party-Pooper Paul" puts a stop to it. However, I think for now, the majority of my training will be at Stockyards. The fact that there is no shower at Stockyards is becoming less of an issue. It is surprising what a spray bottle can do!
Enough for now....

Paul "I Just Want To Be A Boxer Damnit" Brec

No comments:

Post a Comment