ANNOUNCEMENTS

******** COMMENTS FROM THE RING IS PUBLISHED WEEKLY EXCLUDING HOLIDAYS ***** ********

ANNOUNCEMENTS 2

****** [EVENTS] ....**** ... * ********

Monday, August 22, 2016

Not My Best Performance = Epic Fail

 ENTRY 346


NOT MY BEST PERFORMANCE = EPIC FAIL

I have to admit that Saturday was not my best day in the ring.
Actually, I stunk.

A lot of things threw me off.

A huge ring for one thing. It was twice the size of any ring I have ever been in.
When you are used to a ring, you know how and where to move. Having a large ring does not mean more room to run around.  It kind of throws off your movement.
Second, two minute rounds. This is different from the one-and-a-half minutes that I am used to. If you think that is not much difference, try throwing punches and ducking constantly for 30 seconds, and see how difficult it is.
Third, smaller gloves. Under Boxing Canada rules, Masters use 16 oz. gloves for competition. However with the WBC, Masters compete using 12 oz. gloves. That means less padding between fist and face and fist and body. Let me put it this way, it really hurts being on the receiving end of a 12 oz. glove.
Also, wearing 12 oz. gloves when you are not used to it can throw off your timing. Since you are used to having the extra weight on your arms.

In addition to being in a different city, at a different venue, with a new coach in my corner, and nobody but part of the Durham Boxing Team (4 people) to cheer for me.

Are these excuses? Poor excuses?
Maybe.

In all honesty, none of these should really affect performance that much.

I could have done better.
I forgot almost all that Coach told me.
However, it got to the point where I was only concerned about surviving and not winning.

Although, my opponent was really good.
I found out after that he is ex-military. He learned how to box in the military.
This is an opponent Richard would never have allowed me in the ring with.
Brock did, and I appreciate the chance.
As I have mentioned many times before, you don't get better against opponents who are not as good. You have to have tough opponents some times so you can improve yourself.

Although I did not win on the score cards, it is still a victory.
I knew from midway through the second round that there was no way I was going to win against this guy. However, if I was going to accept defeat, I would do so with dignity.
This guy gave me his all. He hit me really hard. I was hit harder than ever before. Every punch that landed, I felt, and it hurt.
This guy was really tough. I nailed him a few times with a right cross directly on his jaw, and I may as well have just tapped him on the shoulder.
He had me on the ropes at least twice. 
He was relentless. He had one job. That was to finish me before the final bell.
He didn't.
I did not quit.
I stood up to this ex-military guy in the ring for six minutes, and I did not take any of his shit.
He may have got in quite a few good and painful shots, but so did I.

It is also interesting to note that he also lost a point for holding. Although, it did not really make any difference as I was so far behind on points anyway.

I came out of there after three brutal rounds, and was checked by the ringside physician, and I was perfectly fine.
I just finished the first semester of the School of Hard Knocks. Big deal.

There are guys out there who couldn't or wouldn't do that. They would be running home to momma. There is a name for that. It is called 'Pussy Syndrome'. More guys have it than care to admit.
So, before any of you decide to make some stupid dumbass comment, think about it.
I don't see any of you doing this.

I don't run and I don't quit.
Quitting is worse than losing.
At least if you try but you don't win, you can still say 'I tried'.
If you quit, you didn't even try, and how can you better yourself if you don't at least try?
Besides, you learn from losing.

All that being considered, this a victory for me.

I did win a few trophies though:
-Bruised rib cage on both sides.
-A nice shiner around my right eye with some red marks (almost cuts).
-Painful jaw on both sides.
-The bridge of my nose is sore when I touch it.

Those are going to be around for a while.
Big deal. Battle wounds. Signs of manhood.

Once again, I want to thank Coach Brock of the Durham Boxing Academy for this opportunity that I would not have had with Stockyards.

See, Richard. I had a tough opponent, and I am still alive!

Unfortunately, I could not get anyone to video record or photograph this match, so I can not show it to you. Although, this may be one that I don't want to show.

I would like to do it again sometime. Maybe in October (hint).


SPARRING REPORT: MONDAY

Probably not my best judgement, but I sparred six rounds on Monday at Stockyards.
It really did not bother me. I thought I would be sore and tired, but I wasn't. That one day break was all I needed. I was as fresh as a freshly-changed baby's butt.

As for my war wounds, I didn't really get hit that much during sparring, so they were not affected.

Maybe some light sparing on Tuesday at Toronto Boxing Academy.
I obviously still have things to work on.
I will need to talk to Coach Brock to find out what he suggests. This is the time when I wish I had a video recording of the bout.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LISTEN LIVE--Link on the right --->

STOCKYARDS vs. TORONTO BOXING ACADEMY: CURRENT SCORES

COACH RICHARD (STOCKYARDS)    9 POINTS  (no change)
COACH BROCK (TORONTO BOXING)  12 POINTS  (no change)


======================================================================

WITH A LITTLE EFFORT AND A LOT OF DETERMINATION, NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE

===============================================================

'THE BRICK' TRAINS AT:

 215 Ryding Ave. Toronto

Monday and Wednesday

--and--

2389 St.Clair Ave. W. Toronto

Tuesday and Thursday, and some Saturday

--and--


2285 Dundas St. W. Toronto

Friday

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment