ANNOUNCEMENTS

******** COMMENTS FROM THE RING IS PUBLISHED WEEKLY EXCLUDING HOLIDAYS ***** ********

ANNOUNCEMENTS 2

****** [EVENTS] ....**** ... * ********

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Final Prep For Saturday's Big Match


Hi all.

The countdown continues to my return to the ring.
I am scheduled to an exhibition bout this coming Saturday at about 7:30 PM.

Stockyards Boxing will be having their 2-year Anniversary, with food and cash bar. There will also be demonstrations, and of course, boxing exhibitions.

Junmar has the card done, and my scheduled opponent is "Dave H".  
Dave is quite a bit older than I, but he is also an ex-Toronto police officer.

It will be 'interesting' if nothing else.

I have been training daily, and sparring regularly.

I wanted to do some sparring on Tuesday, although it was not a sparring day. Junmar was not too happy about it. I realize that the gym has a schedule for a reason. Normally I follow the schedule. If I want to spar, I show up for the sparring sessions.
However, this was a special situation. I have a match coming up. I want to get as much practice in, so I don't look like an idiot on Saturday.
I will not be able to go to the gym on Thursday, because I have another meeting at City Hall to discuss the Nuit Blanche festival for which I will be security supervisor. Friday is also a write-off, because there will be no sparring. There never is the day before a match. They want their boxers to have a rest. Totally understandable.

Anyway, I think at one time Junmar said to me, "His punches will kill you." In reference to my 'unscheduled' sparring session.
Geez. Thanks for the encouragement, Junmar.

This brings up an interesting point about boxing coaches.

One of my goals of writing this column is to get people, especially older people, interested in boxing.
I have found with all boxing coaches, that none of them are encouraging. 
At this point I would like to say that to 'not be encouraging' is different from being 'discouraging'. As I have said before, I have had more than my share of discouraging coaches.
One of the things you will find with boxing coaches is that the are very blunt. 
I think that is indicative of this sport.
Boxing can be a very dangerous sport, and therefore you can not be farting around in the ring. 
I believe this is one of the reasons why boxing is the safest of all the contact sports. The coaches are constantly drilling their athletes about safety.
There is no ass kissing in boxing, only ass kicking. If you don't want yours to be kicked, listen to your coach. Even though he may seem rude at times, don't take offence to it. He is trying to keep you safe.

That is why I am not the least bit concerned about getting hurt. I know that my coaches will not let that happen. I am more concerned about looking like as ass in front of a bunch of strangers.
Seriously, my whole boxing "career" is teetering on what happens on Saturday. If I do not do well, there is a chance, although a slight chance, that I may retire the gloves.
That is why I am very appreciative of Richard to give me this exhibition match before throwing me into the lion's cage. It will gave me a chance to see how well I can do under pressure.

It is important to note that this is an enhanced sparring session.  Not an 'event'. 
Therefore, only members of the Stockyards Boxing will be allowed to watch at this time.

Cheers.









No comments:

Post a Comment