ANNOUNCEMENTS

******** COMMENTS FROM THE RING IS PUBLISHED WEEKLY EXCLUDING HOLIDAYS ***** ********

ANNOUNCEMENTS 2

****** [EVENTS] ....**** ... * ********

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

The Meaning Of Life...From A Boxer's Perspective


Hi all.

Well, a bit of confusion this past weekend. 

Boxing Ontario was under the impression that Stockyards was actually going to hold a boxing show. 
Of course, it is against Boxing Ontario rules to hold unsanctioned boxing.
The organization called the gym and told us that we could not do that.

That is understandable, but that is not what we were doing.

Stockyards Boxing was having an open house so people could see what we do. 
Of course, when people enter a boxing gym, they expect to see boxing.
Therefore, we had a sparring session during the open house. There was no admission fee, and people were not just sitting around watching. It was a general open house where people could ask questions about the gym and about boxing.
What Richard conducted was Enhanced Sparring. That is where the coach will actually climb into the ring with the boxers. The coach can not be a referee. That is a different certification, with different training and testing. 
However, he can give feedback, as a coach should. The reason for the coach being inside the ring as opposed to giving feedback from the corner is to give the boxers an idea of what it is like to have the third person (referee) in the ring. That is really the only difference between that and regular sparring.
Where an exhibition match is exactly the same as a real competition in all ways, except that there is no winner, and your opponent is usually someone from your own team. 

Richard had a good idea, but I think it was just advertised wrong. I think "Boxing Exhibition" was a bad choice of words. I used it too, because that is what I thought it was.

I don't blame Boxing Ontario, either. They have to tell us those things for liability reasons. Everything is about liability these days. If something were to happen, it would all fall right back into Boxing Ontario's lap. They have to "C.Y.A." also.

I don't think anyone was wrong, just a misunderstanding.
I would suggest that if Stockyards wants to do this again, call it an "open house".

If Boxing Ontario wants to question me about it, I will back Richard. He did not break any rules. He conducted a sparring class using a certified coach, and all the  participants were registered athletes. That is within Boxing Ontario rules.

Richard was so upset by this, he called me to ask me to edit my blog.
I removed all references to "Boxing Exhibition" and replaced them with "Enhanced Sparring".
It was the first time I have ever edited my blog. Generally, when I put something here, it stays -forever.
That goes to show you the rapport I have with the Stockyards Boxing.

Moving on: On Monday, Coach Richard asked me if I wanted an exhibition, or a real bout for the next time.
I said that eventually I want a real match.
"When?"
"When do you think I am ready?"
"You are ready now."
"Oh... Let me do another exhibition first".

I asked for an exhibition for the next show in October, and my first real match in November. That will get everything out of the way before the new year. I don't think there will be anything in December. There usually isn't.

There are reasons why I want an exhibition first.  It is not that I don't think I am ready. I have been ready for three years. That is what started this whole boxing ordeal. There are other reasons.

It is said that the number one question people ask is, "What is the meaning of life?"
I think the answer to that is very simple: Leave your 'footprint'.
Whatever you chose to do in life, make sure everyone knows about it. Some call it the "Fifteen minutes of fame". Whatever you call it, do it. Once you have left your mark, you can relax and "retire".
My mark is boxing. I want to do everything I can that involves boxing. Including an exhibition.
 I am still going to try out for the Pan-Am Games. I have about a year before they pick the team.

That is the another reason why I want to get an exhibition. Sanctioned exhibitions count on your record. Although there is no win, it shows as one bout. Which is one of of the ten you need to become Open Class.
You can't really do diddly-squat in Novice Class.

You have to enter tournaments, and win, before being considered for the Pan-Am Games. You can not enter tournaments while in Novice. Most of them, if not all, allow only Open Class.

Anyway, I hope this clears the air, and any misunderstanding. 

I hope I can get a "real" exhibition next month, and start my 'footprint'.

Oh, and I dropped a weightclass. I made it down to Heavyweight. Let's see if I can stay there.

Cheers.






No comments:

Post a Comment