ANNOUNCEMENTS

******** COMMENTS FROM THE RING IS PUBLISHED WEEKLY EXCLUDING HOLIDAYS ***** ********

ANNOUNCEMENTS 2

****** [EVENTS] ....**** ... * ********

Friday, January 20, 2023

Back In the Ring For Another Swing

 

ENTRY 482  January 20 /2023


FIRST SPARRING IN THREE YEARS

Friday marked my first time back in the ring since March of 2020.
I did six rounds and I am impressed with that since I haven't done F.A..in almost three years. 
Although I did notice a bit of rust, I certainly didn't forget how to box. It will take a little time to get completely back into it.
I got nailed with an uppercut to the liver. That hurt a bit. I felt it for quite a while after but, such is sparring. It is a combat sport, so it is to be expected.


LEFT...LEFT...LEFT???

I did some pad work with the coach on Wednesday and Friday.
He introduced me to something different. Left jab, left uppercut, left hook. Wait...three lefts in a row? Did I understand that correctly? 
Yes. I did. It is an interesting combination and I am beginning to like it. I think it is something that an opponent wouldn't expect so I am going to be practicing it more.

I have also been practicing a check hook.
I started working with it on the bag but I found that I was taking too many steps. I should be just a hook and pivot. When I tried it shadow boxing I found it easier for some reason.

Look out for the left. It won't be long before I start trying it while sparring.


NO BRAMPTON CUP

Someone asked me if I was going to be in the Brampton Cup this year which is in February.
My answer was a clear 'no'. For one, I have been away from boxing for too long and I am not ready. Also, tournaments are hard for me to do because I work weekends and I have to take an entire weekend off to go, However, the Brampton Cup is the only tournament I have not been in, so I wouldn't mind trying one, but just not this one. Perhaps next year.


THE 'CREW' IS TRICKLING BACK

It is nice to see the original 'Cabbagetown Crew' slowly returning.
It is really nice to see people again.

However,m I don't forsee Cabbagetown getting any new people anytime soon and it has to do with how they (the Kiwanis Club) is operating the gym. 
They don't allow anyone in unless you have already registered and paid. The problem with that is, that is not how boxing works. Competitive boxers want to go in an inspect the facilities and meet the coaches. They are not going to sign-up and pay for a program without knowing absolutely nothing about the gym or the coaches. It just doesn't work that way.
As I have said before the Kiwanis Club has no idea about boxing and I think teh Cabbagetown Boxing Club is going to suffer in the long run.

For those of you who haven't yet clued into the fact that I don't like the fact that the Kiwanis Club took over the Cabbagetown Boxing Club, well, just so you know, I don't like the fact that the Kiwanis Club took over the Cabbagetown Boxing Club.

I still feel that something isn't quite right about it.



░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Like me on Facebook, follow me on Twitter (@paulbrickboxer)  and Mastodon (Paul'TheBrick'boxer), and view my adventures on YouTube at "Another Brick In the Sprawl"
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

ABOUT 'The Brick"

'The Brick" is a competitive boxer and has been training for over 12 years.

STATS:

9 bouts (Boxing Ontario) 
2 bouts (Ontario Boxing Association) 
1 bout (Florida State Athletic Commission) 

DIVISION:
Masters Novice

STANCE:
Orthodox (left lead)

STATUS:
ACTIVE

CURRENT TEAM/CLUB:
Cabbagetown Boxing Club
Toronto

COACH:
Johnny Kalbhenn

CURRENT WEIGHT:
73 kg (162 lbs.) 

NEXT SCHEDULED BOUTS:
TBA


No comments:

Post a Comment