ANNOUNCEMENTS

******** COMMENTS FROM THE RING IS PUBLISHED WEEKLY EXCLUDING HOLIDAYS ***** ********

ANNOUNCEMENTS 2

****** [EVENTS] ....**** ... * ********

Saturday, July 25, 2015

New "Black Division" Starts Later This Year

ENTRY 244


Boxing Canada Introduces New "Black Division"

Boxing rules are constantly changing.
Now is no different. Boxing Canada has announced a new set of rules for amateur boxing that will take effect starting this September.

They are introducing a category for black boxers.

Going forward, if you are black, you can only compete against other blacks. 
In addition, you can only compete against other blacks who are within five-years in age.
Also, you must wear larger gloves, and your rounds are only to be one-minute long.

In my opinion, it looks like Boxing Canada is doing their absolute best to make it difficult for black boxers to compete.









For reference, here are two photos of black boxers:







This story is fake.


Did it offend you?
If it did, that's a good thing, because now you know how I feel.
These exact same polices apply to "Masters division" boxers. That is boxers over age 40.

If it isn't right to apply these rules to a person based on race or colour, why is it acceptable to apply them based on a person's age?

Their excuse is safety.
Safety has nothing to do with it.

A 25 year-old boxer with five years experience, and a 45 year-old boxer with five years experience, are exactly the same.
Also, as required in Canada, all competitive boxers must have a physician's note giving permission to participate in boxing activities, regardless of age.

I don't see where safety even comes into play here.

Besides, a 20 year-old can have a heart condition, and a 50 year-old can have a great heart.

Again, where is the safety issue?

I am finding that it is not just the boxing officials that are doing this. Coaches are as well.

I am finding that I am treated differently than other boxers, due to my age.
For example, Why am I restricted to sparring only guys who are older or less-experienced?
Why can't I train with better boxers, to help me improve my skills.
Let me spar a professional once in a while. 
As I once said, this is a sport, and you learn from those who are better.

I am stuck in a rut, because I am sparring the same people all the time, and I can't get opponents.
Right now, I spar just for fitness, as I am certainly not getting any technical skills out of it, and most of the time Richard does not even watch me spar.
What is the point of sparring, if the coach does not give feedback?
He gives feedback sometimes, but not in the way he does his younger athletes.

This brings back memories of Kingsway.
Oh, crap. I just felt a cringe.

In an interesting note, I found a guy at Cabbagetown Boxing Club, who would have made a great opponent, age 41, 180 lbs., with one bout.
I told Richard, and he apparently tried to contact Coach Wylie at Cabbagetown, but never received a reply, so he claims.

In the meantime, I contacted Cabbagetown myself with this email:

Hello Mr. Wylie,

My name is Paul.
I am a Master's boxer, registered with Boxing Ontario.

I am currently looking for a new gym to train, that is "Master's freindly".
If your posted roster is updated, it looks like you alreday have a few.

I would like to meet with you and look at your boxing facilities.

Please let me know the hours you are available.

I look forward to meeting you.


Thanks,

Paul "The Brick" 


This is part of the reply I received, not a day later:


Paul...I have to be honest with you and tell you I have a great deal of 
problems trying to match master boxers...With the way Boxing Ontario 
has set the rules up.

     Head Coach, CYC Inc.


Interesting isn't it?

For a coach who is having difficulty setting up bouts for his Masters, he did not seem to reply to Richard's request a few days earlier.
That is...did Richard really contact Coach Wylie in the first place?

This leads me to believe that although the coaches are blaming Boxing Ontario, it appears that they do not seem to try very hard either. 

I have even been told by Richard to try to find my own opponents.
What? Isn't that the coach's job?

I have nothing against the coaches, personally. It just seems that they are "giving up" on the older boxers.

I am going to fight to have these discriminating rules rescinded, but I can't do it myself.
I am requesting the help of other boxers, and my loyal readers.
Let us have the Masters division abolished.

I remember when there was no Masters. You could just box as an Elite until you were dead.

Please help. 
Let's petition Boxing Canada.

Thanks.



"The Brick"
STATS
Record: 0 / 2 / 1 

 September 27 /2014 vs. Matt Standish [Loss by decision] @ 85 kg
 June 14 /2014  vs. Leo Ronin [Loss by decision] @ 86 kg
September 21 /2013 Exhibition @ 90 kg
Stance: Orthodox  (Left lead) / Style: Offensive-Aggressive
Status:  ACTIVE 
WEIGH-IN
*Daily within 2 weeks of a match, weekly otherwise.
   Current:  178 lbs / 80 kg 

MEDICAL
HR resting 60 - 64
HR stressed, on treadmill  128 - 130 
HR stressed, after sparring  132 - 138 




                                                                          
-----------------------------------------------
"The Brick", member of the Stockyards Boxing Team
Stockyards Boxing and Fitness, 215 Ryding Ave., Toronto
---------
Next scheduled bout: N/A
Training schedule: Fri, Sun (Bloor), Mon, Tues, Wed, Thurs (Stockyards).  Sparring  2 - 3 times weekly.
Coaches: Richard Soucé, Junmar Emon, Will (Bramalea)
-----------------------------------------------------






THE BRICK'S LINKS

OTHER LINKS OF INTEREST


Fight Network TV channel dedicated to combat sports
Boxing Ontario  Regulatory body for amateur boxing in Ontario
Masters Division Boxing Site dedicated to boxers over age 35.




Mississauaga

No comments:

Post a Comment