ANNOUNCEMENTS

******** COMMENTS FROM THE RING IS PUBLISHED WEEKLY EXCLUDING HOLIDAYS ***** ********

ANNOUNCEMENTS 2

****** [EVENTS] ....**** ... * ********

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Eye Of the Tiger: Not Always the Cream Of the Fight


I love sparring. It is the absolute best exercise.
When you are as seasoned as I, this creates some problems: Finding someone willing to step into the ring with you, and finding a gym that will allow it.
I am very surprised at how many boxing gyms, even my regular one, do not allow sparring. Either, only during sparring classes, or when there is a coach present.
My gym has the same sort of policy, because they are open 24 hours. Therefore, someone has to be present in the boxing area in order to use the ring. Oddly, my gym is the only one I know of that gives full access to the boxing area to all members. As a result, they are trying to avoid inexperienced guys from jumping into the ring and pounding the piss out of each other. That I understand, but I am not six years old, and I am an experienced boxer. I pay my fee, and I should be able to use the ring whenever I want. It is really not my problem that other people are irresponsible.
I like how they hang two signs off the ring ropes "Absolutely NO SPARRING".



When I went in to take photos after 10:00, the signs were not posted. I found one sign shoved under the ring. I was tempted to kick it further under. Interesting, how on the night I wanted to take photos, they forgot to place the signs. It is as if they knew Paul was going to take pictures, and make sarcastic comments. Come on, I have been going there for almost two years. When am I ever sarcastic? Never, right?

Anyway, my idea is to restrict access to the boxing area to only those who are boxers or who have taken "x-number" of boxing classes, so they at least know the safety rules. Even to punch the bags, if you are not wearing the correct gear, you can damage your wrists or hands. So, to say that they want any member to be able to go in and just beat the crap out of the bag, is still not a good idea.



This "eye" watches to make sure
nobody is doing anything in the
ring they are not supposed to,
like use it.

I found a guy, 18 years old, to spar, but he comes in at 10:00 PM, after the coach is supposed to leave. The only time we get to step into the ring is when the coach stays later.
Needless to say, they really need to find a better system.
As for the sparring itself, I think I am doing quite well, especially against someone almost half my age. I managed to get two sessions with him so far. Three rounds last week and three this week. He certainly makes me move, great. However, he starts off easy, usually the first two rounds. Then, for round three, he gets a bit more aggressive. Of course, I also get more aggressive, and start to hit harder. Last week, I nailed him quite nice in the ribs, and in exchange, he smashed my nose. This week, I poked him good in the abs, and in exchange, he nailed me in the kisser. My lips are still sore today, but so are my arms and legs. This is good. It means I am getting a good workout. I am looking forward to our next session, whenever we can get one in.
My point here, I feel that I am not being treated seriously. I started boxing in 1982 and my coach was Vinnie Ryan. For those who don't know, Vinnie was coach of the Canadian Olympic Team in 2004. I have been boxing on and off ever since. OK, maybe more 'off' than 'on', so I agree that I need more training, but I am far from being a beginner.
My new coach starting next week, will be Junmar. He is a nice guy, and a great teacher from what I hear. He said that I need to learn more technique before I can do any serious sparring. He said that I need to learn this...and this...and this...and by the time I have learned everything I need, I still won't be able to spar, because my walker would not fit through the ring ropes.
I agree, I am not perfect, and I appreciate learning new skills, but don't treat me as if I know nothing. Besides, isn't sparring the best way to learn new techniques?
I have a lot of respect for the people at the gym. The coaches, trainers, managers and other members. They are my friends. I don't expect any special treatment, just show me some respect for what I am trying to achieve. No matter how crazy it may seem.
The point of all this? I am for real. Take me seriously. If I have to write a blog every day for a year. Yeah, I'm a 40-year old boxer. Big deal. Want to take it into the ring? Please do.

Paul "The Comeback Kid"


No comments:

Post a Comment