ANNOUNCEMENTS

******** COMMENTS FROM THE RING IS PUBLISHED WEEKLY EXCLUDING HOLIDAYS ***** ********

ANNOUNCEMENTS 2

****** [EVENTS] ....**** ... * ********

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

The Comeback Kid





I hate it when people use the excuse "I'm too old". I dislike it even more when someone tells me "You're too old". You are as "old" as you want to make yourself. It was this attitude that caused me to make the decision to return to boxing. Yes, I am returning to boxing at the age of 40. So, what? This is probably one of the best decisions I have ever made.
I first started boxing "accidently", in 1982. Let me explain.
In high school, I was a skinny little runty wimp. I was always attacked by the bullies, and so on...anyway, I got tired of it and asked my dad for help. He knew someone at work who was a trainer at a gym. My initial idea was to bulk-up. My dad gave me the address of this gym, and I went. I had no idea it was a boxing gym until I walked in. I thought it was a very bad idea at first, but after a couple of weeks, I began to enjoy it. It was spring, and by the time I returned to school in the fall, I had gained muscle in my upper body and arms. All the time learning how to box, or "kick ass", as I referred to it at the time.
The other guys at school were surprised, but the best part was when someone from school walked by the boxing gym as I was exiting. That was sweet. Word travels fast through a high school, and it was as if someone turned off the Bully Switch. In a way, I was angry that the bully didn't try to attack me again. I really wanted a reason to knock him onto his ass. If not just for myself, but for all the others he picked on. However, I was better than he. I was not going to just attack him for no reason. We all know that is not right.
I continued to practice boxing into my 20's, but by my late-20's, I became bored of it. For some reason, I had not been getting very many bouts, and those I did get were just local club matches. I was never given the chance to compete at a national level, or even provincial level. No chance at the Olympics, or anything. It is frustrating to put so much effort into a sport for so many years, and to not get anything back.
I became lazy, and I really did not take good care of my body. I ate a lot of junk, and failed to exercise. I became fat, and started to develop medical problems. Through my 30's, I really didn't care about myself. The death of my mother in 1996 didn't help.
By 2004, I was living alone, lost my job, and got into some serious financial problems. More problems that did not help my self-esteem.
It was not until I was hired for a very good job by a decent company in early 2008, that I looked at myself, and was disgusted with what I saw. I joined the fitness club at work, and as part of my daily routine, I would beat the crap out of the bag. I decided that I enjoyed this a lot, and I missed beating the crap out of another guy.
I found a boxing gym, interestingly, just a block from my apartment. At first, I did not like the new gym. After a few months there, I began to know everyone, and it became more fun.
I have noticed a change in my body. I feel better, I get sick less often, and I now have a six-pack, which I had never before had. I feel that I am in the best shape of my life.
I continue to train almost every day. The other day, I did eight rounds of sparring with guys half my age, and I ran circles around them. In the process I was taught that boxing has changed a lot since the 80s. For example, the left hook was not used often back then, so mine sucks. The left hook is very popular right now. I've seen guys knocked onto their asses by it, but I am not used to defending against one. Probably, I will learn after getting smucked up side the head a few times.
Another thing that has changed about boxing is that it used to be a man's sport. It still is in my opinion. Somewhere between the 80s and now, some "lesbian" complained about not being allowed to box, and now we have to allow them in the ring. That's fine, but I don't have to like it. Let the ladies have their fun. I'll wait for the real athletes to enter the ring, thank you. Some may think that is a sexist statement, but it is my opinion and it is not going to change. Besides, you don't know what happened when I tried to join a "women's only" fitness club, so don't talk to me about "sexist".
Anyway, I really enjoy my training as a boxer. I take it seriously, although I don't think others realize that I do. I want to make some real competition. Not just sparring and small exhibitions. Yes, I'm 40, but I'm for real. Just like we can not block a person from boxing based on gender, we also can not block someone based on age.

Paul "The Comeback Kid"

No comments:

Post a Comment