ANNOUNCEMENTS

******** COMMENTS FROM THE RING IS PUBLISHED WEEKLY EXCLUDING HOLIDAYS ***** ********

ANNOUNCEMENTS 2

****** [EVENTS] ....**** ... * ********

Friday, November 26, 2010

Are Two Coaches Better Than One?

I had my first class with Coach Junmar this week.
What can I say? His classes are…interesting. I mean that in a positive way. He has a very unique way of teaching, and he has a very interesting style of boxing. He has taught me that there are three different types of jabs. That's interesting, I only knew of one. He also has some very interesting defensive techniques. These will remain a secret. You never know who (possibly a future opponent) might be reading this.Junmar was coached by Rick Souce, who was an undefeated professional. Junmar is a part time instructor and competes for the Bloor Boxing Gym. My other coach, Tim, was a professional boxer for a short time. He currently works security for Zellers. I have always found that a bit amusing. What is he going to do, punch out shoplifters?
I am getting confused. I don’t know if having two coaches is a good idea. The way Tim teaches boxing is completely different from Junmar’s.
I guess all I can do now, is to accept coaching from both, and take it from there.


I found Junmar very helpful, especially with correcting my hook, which apparently sucks. However, going back to the last comment, Tim teaches me to hook differently.
Junmar describes the hook as a stirring motion and move with it, where Tim says to lean into it and "pop" the hook. I personally hate the hook. I never use it, so I never bothered to learn it properly. My attitude about it changed when I saw a guy knocked out by one. Yeah, OK, I’ll learn that now. I’m willing to learn anything that can put another guy down on his ass!

Junmar Emon:
Coach and friend

Junmar starts his classes with some cardo work, followed by a bit of cardo, than some cardio training, and then a bit of cardio. Are you seeing a pattern here? Cardio is very important in boxing. It is one of the things I have noticed after my few sparring matches. I am very tired after. For the peak physical condition required to compete, I should not be tired after three rounds. That’s OK, it is just a matter of getting back into it. I’m sure Junmar’s "Cardio Classes" will help. Also, Tim isn’t exactly easy on me, either. When I first trained with him he said, "Don’t worry, Paul. I haven’t killed anyone…yet."
I am beginning to appreciate that Junmar just might by trying to train me seriously. He agrees that age should not be a factor in boxing.
Well, so far I am enjoying my training, and my goal is to not only compete again, but compete in the Pan-Am Games when they come to Toronto in 2015.
Look out. The Comeback Kid is coming back, strong! Hooks included.

To see a video of one of Junmar's matches:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewnvcNDG994

To see photos of one of Junmar's matches:

Sorry, Tim does not currently compete, so I have no media of him.

Paul "The Comeback Kid"

No comments:

Post a Comment