ANNOUNCEMENTS

******** COMMENTS FROM THE RING IS PUBLISHED WEEKLY EXCLUDING HOLIDAYS ***** ********

ANNOUNCEMENTS 2

****** [EVENTS] ....**** ... * ********

Friday, August 25, 2023

Cut Off the Ring!

 

    ENTRY 509| AUGUST 25 /2023


CUT OFF THE RING!

This week I did 11 rounds of sparring. 
The Thursday evening session was with the younger guys. I like sparring them because it gives a variety and they also make me work really hard. On Friday it was with my age group which is okay too since that group is who I will be boxing in a competition.
One thing that two different coaches told me is that I need to cut off the ring more. That means moving in the same direction as your opponent and blocking him. 
That is easier said than done. As with everything else in boxing, it is always easier to practice on the floor than it is when sparring. Your opponent is not going to just let you block him. He will move all over the place to avoid being stuck in the corner...of course. 
I was also told to finish my combinations. Apparently, while I am on the attack and I get smacked, I stop. Well, yeah. That is the usual reaction to that, but apparently, it is incorrect to do in boxing. You are supposed to keep on the attack.
Something else to work on.

Also, on Thursday there was someone who was learning how to be a referee. The coaches are letting him "referee" the sparring and then they will let him what he missed. That is a really good idea. There are coaches who won't do that but the Cabbagetown coaches will.
They really are a great bunch of coaches.

I am beginning to enjoy the Thursday evening session despite how close it is to the Friday morning session. I am considering not dropping it from my training schedule and keeping the current schedule,


Reminder: Next Friday is a holiday weekend (Labour Day) so there will be no "Comments From the Ring".


NEXT ENTRY: September 8 /2023 


░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

ABOUT 'The Brick;

'The Brick' is a competitive boxer trained for over 12 years.

STATS:

9 bouts (Boxing Ontario) 
2 bouts (Ontario Boxing Association) 
1 bout (Florida State Athletic Commission) 

DIVISION:
Masters Novice

CURRENT WEIGHT:
73 kg (165 lbs.)  

 STANCE:
Orthodox (left lead)

TRAINING STATUS:
ACTIVE -- MODIFIED

TRAINING SCHEDULE:
Wed. 0900-1100
Thu. 1730-1930
Fri. 0900-1100
Holidays 0900-1030

COMPETITION STATUS:
 ACTIVE

NEXT SCHEDULED BOUTS:
September 9 [DEMONSTRATION]
@Cabbagetoown Boxing Clun

CURRENT TEAM/CLUB:
Cabbagetown Boxing Club
Toronto

COACH:
Johnny Kalbhenn



No comments:

Post a Comment