ANNOUNCEMENTS

******** COMMENTS FROM THE RING IS PUBLISHED WEEKLY EXCLUDING HOLIDAYS ***** ********

ANNOUNCEMENTS 2

****** [EVENTS] ....**** ... * ********

Sunday, November 13, 2011

A New Coach At Bloor Could Legalize Sparring



Another week of boxing training has proven to be interesting.
As usual, Junmar killed me with his class on Tuesday, I did my own training on Wednesday, but Richard was not around for some reason.
On Thursday, I did the usual sparring class at Bloor, but there was something different about it. They have imported a coach from another club to oversee the sparring.
This is a very interesting turn of events. Having a certified coach during sparring, "legalizes" the sparring at Bloor.
I recognize this coach, but I do not remember his name, or the gym he represents.
I am not sure of the underlying reason why Bloor is bringing in this coach. Right now he is not really coaching in the true meaning of the word.  He is just watching the sparring and providing instructions based on the sparring. There may be plans in the future for this coach to provide classes as well. You need both, feedback and classes.
In the meantime, I am still attending Stockyards. Richard's boxing classes on Saturday are still very technically intensive, which is good.
The funny thing is Richard approached me on Saturday and was basically amazed that I was still attending his gym. Well, why not? Rick is a great coach. He was very appreciative at the fact that I have not switched full-time to Bloor.
The truth is, I don't want to switch full-time to Bloor. It is still questionable as to what is going on there. At least with Stockyards, I know exactly what is happening, and the expectations.
As I mentioned, they really still don't have a full-time coach at Bloor. Standing outside the ring, barking instructions is helpful, but not enough.
Rick has actual classes where he teaches boxing. Bloor Fitness is still mostly an aerobics studio. Although, I appreciate what they are doing there, it still needs work. I suggest, in addition to Kobe's sparring class, have actual technical boxing classes as well. That might be the plan with this new coach, but it is too early to tell.
The sparring class at Bloor is getting very popular. They had some more new guys again.
This one guy, I sparred first, was very fast. His first jab nailed me square in the nose! Shit! This guy is fast! I can usually defend pretty good against a jab. I did not even see that coming, until it hit me. The sharp pain through my nose was a good indication that it was quite possibly hit by a flying leather glove with a nice hard fist in it.
OK, so this is a good practice for defense. Pain is a very good teacher.
One thing I am finding, younger guys are more aggressive when boxing. The guys in my division tend to not hit as hard. It makes sense, I mean, you don't have to knock me out to win. It is only a sport. However, the guys in their 20's are full of aggression, and like to hit really hard.
I'm tough, so it does not bother me that much. Like I said, pain is a good teacher.
I sparred six different guys on Thursday, including one in my division.  What I have learned is that when a guy gets too aggressive, the best thing to do is to do the same. In most cases, I have found that he will back off a bit. Believe me, I can hit hard too! Try me.
That is all for this report.
I would like to remind everyone that "Fight Night 3" will be happening this Friday at Stockyards. So far, there are nine confirmed bouts. I hope you can come out to join us. Bouts start at 8 PM. I will be video recording the bouts. Contact me to purchase a copy.
Bloor will also be having boxing on December 3.

Paul "The Brick" Brec
Stockyards Boxing Team, Masters Novice Division, Heavyweight

No comments:

Post a Comment