ANNOUNCEMENTS

******** COMMENTS FROM THE RING IS PUBLISHED WEEKLY EXCLUDING HOLIDAYS ***** ********

ANNOUNCEMENTS 2

****** [EVENTS] ....**** ... * ********

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Sparring the Coach..Oh, No, Not This Again !



I went to Richard's boxing lesson yesterday.
He put us through some rigorous training and technical boxing for about an hour.
We did ab work and tons of  push-ups (my favorite), and of course boxing drills.
We worked on the 1-2, 1-2-3, 1-2-3-4, and then add a slip. How about 1,2,3,slip, 1,2,3,slip,4...?
Then we did the same on the bag.
During a lot of class, Richard was sitting at his desk "working" on the computer. He was just yelling instructions to us. Sometimes he joined in, but did a lot of other "work" as well.
After class was over, some of the other students left, and then Richard said to me, "We are sparring today, gear up".
I did not have my sparring gear, because I was not expecting to spar, so I had to borrow the gym's equipment. I don't like doing that, so from now on, I will just bring my gear every Saturday. I have all the gear, I should be using it. I even have sparring gloves now. Apparently "real" boxers have separate gloves for sparring and for the bag. I guess that makes me a real boxer, doesn't it?
I am not a fan of sparring the coach. I guess I have a "complex" about receiving comments from the coach. I am so used to the wise-ass comments and dirty looks from that other so-called boxing gym, I guess I am now just expecting it. Of course, Richard is not like that. He actually provided a lot of useful feedback.
I found out that I have a habit of dropping my left when I throw a right cross. How did I find out?
He told me that every time I dropped that hand, he would nail me. Take a guess what happened? I dropped my left, and he nailed me with a hook...a few times.
Besides that, he told me that I needed to work on Cardio. He said that I was tired after one round. Well, yeah, what was I doing for the last hour? Did I not just train for an hour as opposed to sitting at my desk? I don't think that was fair. I could spar 85 rounds if I was walking into the ring fresh. Give me a break.
After sparring, was talked a bit, and he told me that he does not really know about my chances of ever competing again. According to him, we need to do some more training and sparring.
Well, at least that is an honest answer. I don't expect him to give me an answer right now. He has been my coach for how long? Just over two months? It is too early to tell. I will do anything he suggests in order to get back into that ring again, and in the meantime, I will be keeping in shape. That is the whole idea of getting back into boxing.
Moving on to Sunday. I slept in really late, and missed class at Stockyards, so I went to Bloor instead.  Usually Bloor is quiet on Sundays. This week there was some guy there who thinks he knows how to box, and he was playing some Gawd-awful music. Seriously, I am going to create a new music category called "Gawd-awful".
This is a bit off-topic, but I am going to be talking about this in one of my future Broadcasting Blog entries.  There is a running gag about my feelings about modern music.  On February 4, 1993, music officially began to suck. Therefore, all of my favorite songs are before that date. There is more to it than that.
Check out 'Comments From Behind the Camera' for information about my experiences and comments about Broadcasting and Media.
Well, that is all for this entry.

Paul "The Brick" Brec
Stockyards Boxing Team, Heavyweight Masters Novice Division

No comments:

Post a Comment