ANNOUNCEMENTS

******** COMMENTS FROM THE RING IS PUBLISHED WEEKLY EXCLUDING HOLIDAYS ***** ********

ANNOUNCEMENTS 2

****** [EVENTS] ....**** ... * ********

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Does Your Head Hang Low ???




...mine apparently does.

After my last few sparring sessions, I have been told that at some times my head is too low. I have been told this by other boxers, but I find it interesting that my coaches have not noticed

I am an "Outside" boxer, that is I like to keep distance between myself and my opponent. I will step in to attack, and then step back to defend.
There are some cases when I step in, I drop my head.
I have been told this by more than one sparring partner. After being informed of this, I realized it myself.
the thing is, I don't do it all the time.

This is very serious, because it is a foul. This goes beyond poor-quality boxing, it is a violation of the rules.
One I am competing, and I do that, it could mean a disqualification.
This is something that I am now going to have to be conscious of. I will need to focus on when and why I am doing this, and really take it seriously.
A disqualification is the worst way to loose in any sport, and  a disqualification on a boxer's record is very bad. Too many could result in a suspension from the sport. Besides, it just looks bad.
I am a firm believer that if you are going to take that time to participate in a sport, you could at least follow the rules. Yeah, "Brick", follow the freaking rules.

Now that my defense is getting better, I can now focus on this problem.

We had a short soft-sparring session on Tuesday. I found that I was blocking about 85% of the attacks. That is pretty good, considering some of these guys are half my age.

In other boxing news, we had a great night of boxing at Stockyards on Friday. For those who could not come out, you can catch all the bouts on Rogers TV, Cable 10 and in Hi-Def on Cable 510, this Friday evening at 7:30.

That is all for this report.


Paul "The Brick" Brec,
Stockyards Boxing Team, Masters Novice Heavyweight Division (90 kg)

""Keep your hands up, and your head down!""


No comments:

Post a Comment