ANNOUNCEMENTS

******** COMMENTS FROM THE RING IS PUBLISHED WEEKLY EXCLUDING HOLIDAYS ***** ********

ANNOUNCEMENTS 2

****** [EVENTS] ....**** ... * ********

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Not Too Cool For the Pool



Hello everyone. I have had a few people ask me about my pool training. In this entry I would like to share some of the exercises I do in the water. These are good for everyone, not just boxers.
Before I go into that, I have a sparring update.

I have been doing a lot of sparring lately, sometimes three times a week.
A couple of weeks ago, I was nailed really good in the left kidney.
I sparred again a couple days later, and once again, I was nailed in the same place.
My last sparring session on Thursday, I was once again popped in the kidney.
I have to say it is pretty sore there now. I have a huge bruise there that is not really getting a chance to heal.
Do you see a trend here?

I am wondering at what point I will clue in and remember to defend down there.
The problem is the other boxers are noticing that, and taking advantage.
On Thursday, I thought I would get smart and where my groin protector, which I really should always be wearing anyway, but I thought it would help protect my kidney. Well, no. It is a groin protector. It does not come around that far, so I found out. Do they make kidney protectors?

I have done some research, and found out that kidney damage is very serious. However, I also found out that kidney damage is highly unlikely to occur from impact. There is a large group of muscles in front that protect the kidneys, but those muscles can be damaged from impact, as from a fist. That explains the pain and huge bruise.

One good thing happened, I fixed the problem with my head being too low. Now I have to fix the problem with my defense not being low enough.

Now on to the topic of training. It may not help my defense, but it does help keep me in shape: Water training.

I try to do training in the pool for 45 minutes to an hour at least once a week, and I also go when I can't make it to the gym.
Now that my landlord has finally fixed the pool heater, I can do these without feeling like I am standing in an ice cube tray.

Here are some of the things that can be done in water, other than swimming, to help keep in shape:

Walking: Taking heavy steps around the inside edge of the pool is great for your upper legs. I usually go around ten times in each directing, ensuring there is enough resistance to feel it in my legs.

Bicycles: Hold onto the deck and let your legs come up to just below the surface. Then do bicycles just under the water. This is good for your legs and biceps, as you attempt to hold yourself from falling in. I generally do five sets of 20.

Stationary paddle: Stand with your back against the edge of the pool. Stretch out both arms to also touch the edge, with palms facing into the pool. Bring your hands together just under the surface, while keeping your arms straight. Once your hands touch, flip your palms outward, and push the water back towards the deck. This is good for your arms and upper body, provided that you make sure there is enough resistance. I usually do five sets of 40.

Walk back/swim forward: From one side of the pool, forcefully walk backwards to the other side, then swim back. I generally do this ten times.

I hope these help, and give them a try.

That's all for now.
Oh, and the last time I checked, I dropped another kilogram.

Paul "The Brick" Brec,
Stockyards Boxing Team, Masters Novice Division, Heavyweight (89 kg)


No comments:

Post a Comment