ANNOUNCEMENTS

******** COMMENTS FROM THE RING IS PUBLISHED WEEKLY EXCLUDING HOLIDAYS ***** ********

ANNOUNCEMENTS 2

****** [EVENTS] ....**** ... * ********

Thursday, May 1, 2014

It All Comes Down To This...



It All Comes Down To This...

Hello all.

Stockyards' next boxing show is scheduled for June 14. At that time it is expected that all members of the Stockyards boxing team will be competing against boxers from other clubs.

Coach Richard is looking very hard for an opponent for myself.
I mean, he is seriously looking.

It is coming down to the wire, now.

My comeback bout will be a reality. It is now at the point, not "if", but "when" I will compete again, and it looks like it will be very soon.

I am going to take this seriously, and work very hard. 
I have to win my first bout.
It is less important to win the second or third than the first.
The reason is that for me to lose my first bout after all I have gone through would be a disaster.
At least if I win, it will give me confidence to continue.

Also, the last thing I want is to make myself, my gym, and my coach look like an ass.
Everyone looks bad when an athlete does not perform to standards.


Sparring Report For the Last Week Of April

Here we are getting close into May, although the weather does not seem like it.

I have been getting into some heavy-duty sparring lately. My coaches have really been pushing me. That is a good sign. It means that they care about my performance.

I did 5 rounds on Monday and 6 rounds on Wednesday.

Here is the thing: Richard likes it when I throw uppercuts. Of course. A good well-placed uppercut will drop a guy.
However, Junmar does not like it when I throw uppercuts. He feels that I am throwing them at the wrong time. 
Well, I would like to suggest to Junmar, instead of discouraging me from using it, instruct me on how to use it properly.

I also sometimes like to tease my opponent, by dropping my defense and sticking my face out.
Yeah, I do that. 
Junmar hates it when I do that. 
He tells me to do it again, and then tells the other guy to punch me right in the face.

He's right about that. If I go into competition and do that, I'm done.
I think I will stop that.



Videos From the Blue Corner

My video blog is setup and ready to go.
You can find it on YouTube (link below). It is called "Videos From the Blue Corner".

The first episode is now up. Done inside due to weather.
I wish the weather was better, so I can get out and make some great video. The weather in Toronto has been crapolla lately, and is forecast to be such for the rest of the week. 
I should move to Vancouver. There is less rain there.

I would like to get some sparring on the blog.
I am going to check with the guys to see if it is okay to video record next week's sparring session.
I think it would be interesting to share what sparring is like at Stockyards.

This video journal will not only be an extension of this blog, but will also feature some interesting things in and around Toronto not related to boxing.





Yes. It is the return of "The Stupidity Files".
With a new rating system:
1 Dunce Cap=Dunce, 2 Dunce Caps=Stupid, 3 Dunce Caps=Moron, 4 Dunce Caps=Idiot

In this entry: 'yelp.ca', 'Dufferin Mall',  and 'Walmart'...

We start off with Walmart at Westwood Square.
This Walmart has been in "The Stupidity Files" before.
This location now gets a "4 Dunce Cap" rating, for being in the Files twice for the same reason. Obviously not learning from the first time.

I am not going to repeat the issues with this location, as it has already been mentioned. 
For reference, go back to Entry 147, the paragraph, "Reasons Walmart Sucks: Number 1137".

Everything I wrote about in that column is still happening.
I find it very hard to believe that this has not yet got back to them. 
Maybe, I need to take it one step further. It is possible that Walmart head office needs to her about this.
It all comes down to making the customer comfortable. Walmart, at least that one, has not quite grasped that concept.

While we are on the topic of stores and shopping, Dufferin Mall is in the Files for the first time, surprisingly.

Dufferin Mall gets a "3 Dunce Cap" rating, for having stupid security guards, and general thoughtlessness towards their customers.

Here is the thing: 
Dufferin Mall is going through this, "Let's remodel the entire damn mall" phase. 
In the process, they have closed one set of washrooms, and replaced them with portables located outside the mall.
Yeah. Nothing can possibly go wrong with that.
The thing is, they lock them when the mall is closed. That is understandable. The problem is, the idiot security does not unlock them again.
When I went to the mall on Sunday, the mall had been open for two hours before security got off their asses to open the washrooms. 

Somehow, a man managed to get into one of the women's washrooms, and security had the nerve to yell at him for using a woman's washroom.
Well, maybe if you had openeds the men's room, one would not have to use the woman's?
Geez, yeah...How about that?

Hee...hee...hee...I'm a mall security guard.

Our final entry in this "Stupidity Files" is for the web site 'yelp.ca'.

This site is designed to allow customers to rate businesses, mostly in the Toronto area.
However, there is a problem.
I wrote a fantastic review for Stockyards Boxing and Fitness, but it was never published.
Apparently, yelp.ca picks and chose which reviews to publish.
It is true. This is from their FAQ:


  • My review doesn't show on the business's profile page unless I'm logged in. What's going on?

    If your review isn't showing up on a business's page unless you're logged in, your review isn't one of the reviews we are showcasing today for other users. Don't worry: even if your review isn't one of the millions we currently recommend, other people can still see it on your profile page and it might be recommended on another day. You can read more in the "Recommended Reviews" section below.
Oh. I see how that works. They have to "recommend" your reviews.
Great, so, what is the point of this site?
People are not going to contribute reviews if they are not being published, and visitors to the site are not going to use the site now knowing that not everyone's reviews are being shown.

One can just "look up" a business anywhere, but people use yelp.ca specifically for the reviews.

I mean, who cares if a reviews shows on your personal profile? People don't visit yelp.ca to look at profiles. They are looking up businesses. In particular, business reviews.

yelp.ca gets a "4 Dunce Cap" rating for making their own web site completely and totally useless. 



                    Video Blog: Videos From the Blue Corner

----------------------------------------------------------------
"The Brick", member of the Stockyards Boxing Team
Stockyards Boxing and Fitness, 215 Ryding Ave., Toronto
STATS
Record: 0 / 0  / 1 
Weigh-in on April 25 / 2014 @ 85 kg / 188 lbs. {no change}
Last bout: September 21 / 2013 [Exhibition]
Next scheduled bout: June 14 / 2014 @ George Bell Arena
Training schedule: Monday to Sunday, with sparring twice weekly
Coaches: R. Soucé, J, Emon
Resting HR: 64 - 68
------------------------------------------------------------------------



                                          Cheers.



No comments:

Post a Comment