ANNOUNCEMENTS

******** COMMENTS FROM THE RING IS PUBLISHED WEEKLY EXCLUDING HOLIDAYS ***** ********

ANNOUNCEMENTS 2

****** [EVENTS] ....**** ... * ********

Friday, July 14, 2023

My Return To Competition Is Getting Closer

 

    ENTRY 504 | JULY 14 /2023


ITS GETTING CLOSER...

It has been a long time since I have been in the ring for competition. 
Four years and seven months to be exact, It was the Golden Gloves in Niagara Falls in December of 2018. 
It wasn't my best performance and I have been waiting a long time to "correct" it. 
I didn't compete in 2019 because of my piss-poor performance at the Golden Gloves, in 2020 something happened that prevented competitive boxing for a few years. 
Now, boxing is back, and so is 'The Brick'.
You see, I will not come right out and ask the coach if I can compete. I may drop a few hints here and there, but I figure that the coach will let me know when he feels I am ready...and it happened...today.  
One thing about Coach Johnny is that he doesn't bullshit his boxers. He will not tell you that you are doing well if you are not, and that is exactly what a good coach should do, or shouldn't do. For about the last month, he has been telling me how great my performance has been and that he has been really happy with how well I have been training and how much I have progressed. Today, Friday, was no different except that he added one important line, "We are going to get you a fight soon."
Yes. It happened. My hard work had paid off. The coach said what I have been wanting to hear for a while. Could this mean that I will get a shot at the Cabbagetown Festival show that I have been wanting to be in for so long?
I, of course, can not take all the credit.
An athlete is only as good as his coach. If it wasn't for the hard work Coach Johnny has put into working with me, I don't think I could have done this, so thank you to Coach 
Johnny Kalbhenn.
I have been saying for a while that there is a reason why I travel from The Junction to Cabbagetown to train although there are now four registered boxing clubs closer to me,

I have also dropped a couple of weight categories. I used to be too heavy which was a disadvantage for me. I have since dropped from 180 lbs. to 164 lbs. and that will be much better.

I may have to change my training schedule a bit, though. The morning session no longer has anyone for me to spar with, so the coach suggested that I attend the evening session so I can get in some sparring. 
I am going to do that starting next week, and once I have a bout confirmed I will train more often and for longer each session as is common for boxers and likely for other sports as well.

It looks like this is it. 'The Brick's triumphant return will be soon.
As soon as I have a confirmed date, it will be posted below.


NEXT ENTRY: July 21 /2023 

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Like me on Facebook
Visit my WEBSITE.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

ABOUT 'The Brick;

'The Brick' is a competitive boxer who has trained for over 12 years.

STATS:

9 bouts (Boxing Ontario) 
2 bouts (Ontario Boxing Association) 
1 bout (Florida State Athletic Commission) 

DIVISION:
Masters Novice

CURRENT WEIGHT:
73 kg (165 lbs.)  

TRAINING STATUS:
ACTIVE

COMPETITION STATUS:
 PENDING

STANCE:
Orthodox (left lead)

CURRENT TEAM/CLUB:
Cabbagetown Boxing Club
Toronto

COACH:
Johnny Kalbhenn

NEXT SCHEDULED BOUTS:
TBA

 


No comments:

Post a Comment