ANNOUNCEMENTS

******** COMMENTS FROM THE RING IS PUBLISHED WEEKLY EXCLUDING HOLIDAYS ***** ********

ANNOUNCEMENTS 2

****** [EVENTS] ....**** ... * ********

Friday, August 10, 2018

Appropriate and Ironic: He Broke Me

    ENTRY 429



APPROPRIATE AND IRONIC, HOW THE COACH BROKE ME

This happened over two days, well actually over a 24-hour period but there was an overnight in there.

On Thursday evening, I was in the ring doing some footwork practice. Out of nowhere, the coach in charge of the competitive team who I had not yet worked with, jumped into the ring and showed me a new drill. Well, new to me.
It was a footwork drill where you start at the center of the ring and move to the ropes. Then you throw a combination using the top rope as a reference. Then you move back to the center and to one side, then forward again. Then once again throw a few using the top rope as a target. 
You keep doing that for the entire round and for three rounds.

Then he said to me, "Your boxing is good but you need to get stronger".

What? Am I not strong enough?
I guess not.

He wants me to do five sets of 25 sit-ups and five sets of 20 push-ups every second day.

Push-ups? Really? I absolutely hate those.
When I was younger I could do 30 in less than 30 seconds with no problem.
Now, that I am older...
...Oh, wait. I can't use the age excuse anymore. Dammit.

Anyway, I did what he asked. I took me not 30 seconds but closer to 30 minutes, but I did it.

Although I think it is great that the competitive team coach is taking an interest in my training, I think he broke me with that.
He really did break me.
The problem was me taking too much time off without doing them and now having to go back to doing them again.
I guess that was my fault.



On Friday morning I went in for my weekly Friday morning sparring, and still sore from the previous evening training, the sparring coach played the Rocky IV soundtrack. It was the first time anyone played "appropriate" music in there, but ironic.
The night before I watched Rocky IV for the sole purpose of obtaining the image above.
I couldn't remember where it was in the film, so I watched the whole thing.
It also gave me a chance to test my new monitor.
Actually, I am trying a TV as a monitor. It works great for watching movies, which makes sense since that is what a TV is for.
Thank you Captian Obvious.

I guess this is the official start-up for training for our club card next month.
More on that in a later entry.

Oh, and a side note, I dropped another pound.



═════════════════════════════════════════════════════════

--Paul 'The Brick' Brec


No comments:

Post a Comment