ANNOUNCEMENTS

******** COMMENTS FROM THE RING IS PUBLISHED WEEKLY EXCLUDING HOLIDAYS ***** ********

ANNOUNCEMENTS 2

****** [EVENTS] ....**** ... * ********

Friday, March 17, 2023

Step Aside: The Best Defense Against A Jab

 

   ENTRY 490 | March 17 /2023

 

JUST STEP ASIDE

Coach Johnny worked with me this week on something new and then had me try it while sparring and it worked very well.
He said that to defend against a jab, to step to the right and then throw a straight right.
We drilled this during pad work and then he wanted me to try it during sparring and it worked every time.
It is just a single step to the right (opponent's left) and then immediately throwing a straight right to the head, He will completely miss you with his jab and you will almost always nail him in the head with the right provided that your timing is dead-on. Of course, this will only work if your opponent is in an Orthodox stance.

Once again an excellent idea from a great coach. 
That's why I travel halfway across the city to attend the Cabbagetown Boxing Club,

"THE TALBOT HILLS MEMOIRS"




My latest e-novel that I had been working on throughout the pandemic is now about to begin proofreading.

"The Talbot Hills Memoirs" continues to follow the character of Jake Islington (who has not revealed his last name until now). 
In this installment, Jake works as the assistant to the mayor of a small city of 100,000 by the name of Talbot Hills.
In this 20-chapter comedic novel, we follow Jake after he discovers that the city has a budget surplus of almost a million dollars.
How well will he handle it?

This e-novel is set for public publication by mid-August.





WELCOME NEW CABBAGETOWN MEMBERS

Friday's class with Coach Johnny was really busy. There were 11 in attendance including myself and there were three "rookies".
I can always tell a beginner by the way they stand. Beginners never stand properly. They are often flat-footed.
It was also an all-guys day at the Cabbagetown Boxing Club as well.

A big welcome to the Cabbagetown newbies. Welcome to the "Crew".


SPARRING REPORT: WEDNESDAY AND FRIDAY

Ten rounds total this week, which is my goal. It was a lot of hard work as I was specifically working on the things the coach and I worked on.
The coach has been very happy with my progress, He joked and said, "Of all the years I have been coaching, sometimes I get something right". At least I think he was joking. Either that, or he was being modest.


BOXING IS RETURNING TO THE BIG SCREEN, BIG TIME

This past Thursday I was finally able to catch "Creed III" in the theatre.
I have to say that it was okay, but really nothing special. I will give it a five out of ten.
It started slow but picked up speed about halfway through. A former friend of Andonis appears out of nowhere who was an amateur boxer and decides that he wants to become a professional and go for the title. He of course gets that opportunity, because: movie.
His opponent is no doubt Adonis and, look out, big spoiler alert coming, Adonis wins. We all saw that coming around the corner, didn't we?

I was not totally impressed with that one. However, there is another boxing movie being released soon in North America.
It is a biography of George Foreman and it sounds quite interesting.




It is set for release to the North American market on April 28 of this year.
See the detail on imdb.com HERE.





NEXT ENTRY: March 24 /2023


░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Like me on Facebook, follow me on Twitter (@paulbrickboxer)  and Mastodon (Paul'TheBrick'boxer), and see me tear apart inaccurate films and TV about boxing on YouTube at "The Brick"
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

ABOUT 'The Brick;

'The Brick' is a competitive boxer and has been training for over 12 years.

STATS:

9 bouts (Boxing Ontario) 
2 bouts (Ontario Boxing Association) 
1 bout (Florida State Athletic Commission) 

DIVISION:
Masters Novice

CURRENT WEIGHT:
73 kg (162 lbs.) 

STATUS:
ACTIVE

STANCE:
Orthodox (left lead)

CURRENT TEAM/CLUB:
Cabbagetown Boxing Club
Toronto

COACH:
Johnny Kalbhenn

NEXT SCHEDULED BOUTS:
TBA

 


No comments:

Post a Comment