ANNOUNCEMENTS

******** COMMENTS FROM THE RING IS PUBLISHED WEEKLY EXCLUDING HOLIDAYS ***** ********

ANNOUNCEMENTS 2

****** [EVENTS] ....**** ... * ********

Friday, September 30, 2011

Another Sparring Class at Bloor, This One Hurt!

Another Thursday has gone by, and thus, another evening of "soft" sparring.
I think guys need to learn the meaning of *soft* sparring. That is "soft", 'light", "don't hit as hard as you normally would" sparring.
I wouldn't mind so much, except that because this is supposed to be S..O..F..T sparring, we are not wearing full protective gear.
In addition to the guys who normally attend, there was a "new" guy. Well, not new to boxing, but new to Bloor Gym. He had just moved here from Vancouver. That in itself brings up two questions: Why would anyone want to move from Vancouver to Toronto?, and, I didn't know they had any boxing in Vancouver. I thought all they did there was smoke joints?
Anyway, his name is Luke. Easy to remember. I just have to go into Nerd Mode and think of Luke Skywalker.
This Luke guy, I have to say is a pretty damn good boxer for someone who has only been in it for a few months. I though I was a pretty good boxer, but Luke taught me otherwise. Its amazing how when you think you are good at a sport and then someone else comes along and hands your ass to you on a silver platter.
The Force is strong with Luke when he is in the ring. I was just basic target practice for him. He nailed me so many times, and really hard too! I really like how the instructor was yelling instructions to me from ringside. "Go, Paul. Go after him. He isn't going to hurt you. This is just practice!" Yeah, right. You are outside the ropes, where it is safe. Would you like to come in here and try this?
Luke got me good above the eye. There is a bump there now, and is hurting. My nose is a bit sore too. Oh, well, sometimes those things happen in sports. It looks like I actually did something. Sometime I feel that people don't believe me when I tell them I am a boxer, because I never "look" it. Well, now I do. Happy?
Going forward, I think I am going to start wearing my sparring gear for "Soft Sparring Night".
At the same session, there was another guy who attends regularly. I'm sorry, I have forgotten his name. Anyway, I was able to get him against the ropes. I could not believe he let me score 18 points on him! He did not try to pivot out, defend or anything. I am not exactly sure what happened, but I was nice and eventually let him out. However, if that had been a "for real" match, there would have been no way I would have let him go. 
Well, that is all for this week's sparring report.
I will be back at Stockyards on Tuesday. I am in the process of creating my fall boxing schedule.I was waiting for Stockyards to re-open, so I can decide how to spit my training. Stockyards has the huge advantage of having a good coach, but they do not have showers. However, Bloor has showers and sparring classes, but is not certified for competition boxing. 
Coach Rick is my official coach, so the best thing to do will be to discuss it with him. I will get his advice on this, and see how often he thinks I should train with him, and the rest of the time go to Bloor.
Richard is cool about things like that, I'm sure we will be able to come to a comfortable compromise.
Once my schedule is confirmed, I will post it here.
Also, don't forget about "Fight Night 2" at Stockyards Boxing Gym, starting at 7:30 PM on October 21. I hope to see you there.

Paul "The Brick" Brec








No comments:

Post a Comment