ANNOUNCEMENTS

******** COMMENTS FROM THE RING IS PUBLISHED WEEKLY EXCLUDING HOLIDAYS ***** ********

ANNOUNCEMENTS 2

****** [EVENTS] ....**** ... * ********

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Junmar's Class Yesterday, Pain Today !

Well, yesterday was the official opening on the new Stockyards Boxing and Fitness. Junmar Emon held his first conditioning class, which I attended. Oh, yes. Junmar's famous conditioning classes. I remember those. I used to call them Junmar's Kill Paul classes. That hasn't changed.
What I found truly amazing, Richard pulled me out of Junmar's class to work with me in the ring!
He did padwork with me, which is something Kingsway never did. Richard is also a very positive coach. He encourages people to excel at the sport. I found the "coaches" at Kingsway to be rather negative. If you make a mistake there, you were greeted with a sarcastic comment. Its no surprise the Kingway boxing team is not doing well. How can someone learn in such a negative environment?
Sorry, I hate to be complaining about Kingsway so much, but I want don't want to see other people fall into that same crap.
I am paying less than what I payed at Kingsway, and all classes are included. What is great is that after class, Richard took me aside and told me everything that was expected of me, if I want to compete.
He wants me to be able to keep up with Junmar's class. Right now, there is a bit of a struggle with that. Also, he wants me to do:  75 push-ups a day, 75 squats a day, and 200 sit-ups a day. He also wants me to run the track across the street from my apartment three times a week. 
From what I am getting, it appears that Kingsway was only concerned about the money, and did not really care about the quality of coaching. I was very impressed that Richard Souce took time out to train me. Now that is a coach! It is clear that he enjoys coaching, and is not blinded by the almighty dollar sign. Not that a good coach does not deserve to be payed, but you don't rip off people.


"Bag Bay" at Stockyards Boxing and Fitness

Oh, and I found the showers. They are located in the change rooms that the hockey players use. It was kind of funny, here I am in my boxing gear walking into a room full of hockey players. "Oh, hi there. I'm just coming in to take a shower..." [Hee hee hee]
The showers were very cold. I could not figure out how to get hot water in there. Then again there probably is no hot water. This is a City of Toronto owned building. Yeah, the best thing after extreme exercise is a nice ice cold shower. Why not?
Anyway, in addition to the daily training Richard wants me to do, I will be going to Stockyards at least three times a week. He also wants me to do my own training in-between. This is it. I hope he understand that just because I am not going to HIS gym, does not mean I am not training. I also have a membership at Bloor Street Fitness, and I would still like to take advantage of that. This was something else about Kingsway, they were always complaining that I was only going three times a week. Well, yeah, but I was also going to Bloor. They knew that. I am not six years old. I don't need my hand held all the time. Richard told me what he wants me to do, which is more than Kingway ever did. I will train as Richard suggests, but it just may not always be at Stockyards. Some of the stuff I can even do at home.
To conclude today's entry, I was very happy with the staff at Stockyards. I recommend anyone who wants to pursue boxing for fitness or competition, drop by  215 Ryding Avenue. Near St. Clair and Runnymede. Take the 71 or 79 bus from Runnymede station. Visit the website below for more info.

Paul "The Brick" Brec

Stockyards Boxing and Fitness

No comments:

Post a Comment