ANNOUNCEMENTS

******** COMMENTS FROM THE RING IS PUBLISHED WEEKLY EXCLUDING HOLIDAYS ***** ********

ANNOUNCEMENTS 2

****** [EVENTS] ....**** ... * ********

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Stockyards Is Closed, More Sparring At Bloor

Well, since Stockyards is closed until the end of the month, it means more training at Bloor.
At least the coach at Stockyards does not think he owns me, like at that other boxing club. Kingsway expected me to train exclusively with them, and I was actually told that I could not train anywhere else. Well, excuse me, if I want to train at two different gyms, that is my right.
Coach Richard made it very clear that as long as I am training, he does not care where I do it. That is a great attitude. He trusts that his boxers are going to train, and do not need to be baby-sat. I appreciate that very much.
Last Saturday, there was live boxing hosted by Stockyards, and unfortunately, our boxers did not win. However, yesterday in Kitchener, one of our boxers won against a boxer from Kingsway. Yeah, that is very funny. A boxer from a brand new club kicked some Kingsway butt! Once again, Paul is proven right about the crappy Kingsway coaching.
Anyway, enough complaining about Kingsway, moving on to Bloor.
Bloor now has a sparring class! Yeah. Thursdays at 8:30 PM, they have soft sparring supervised by an experienced boxer. Although Bloor is not certified by Boxing Ontario, I am told that they are "not supposed" to conduct sparring classes. In my opinion, if Bloor wants to conduct sparring, let them. Everyone keeps telling me. "Boor is not sanctioned for sparring. What if something happens? You are not insured..." Blah, blah, blah." First of all, whether they are certified or not is really not my problem. Secondly, sports injuries are covered by the Ontario Health Plan. Therefore, I really don't understand the need for "insurance" from Boxing Ontario, except that it is a way for Boxing Ontario to make money. There are advantages to being certified, which I hope Bloor will eventually do. For now, the Thursday sparring is fine.
In addition, I am still training as best I can, as per Richard's training regiment. Except, I had the flu last week, and didn't do as much as I should. However, I toughed it out, and still did some training. I am trying to prove to Coach Richard that I have what it takes to be a boxer again. I want on his team, damnit. If I have to kill my self to do it, I will! I will be the world's first dead boxer. Hmmmm, that opens up a whole new world of nicknames.
Seriously, with all sports, you are still expected to train even if you are sick. After all, exercise is the best medicine.
This past Thursday at Bloor, I was sparring mostly new guys. I don't like it, because I don't learn much, but I look at it as I am helping them learn.
One guy for some reason, would only hit me in the shoulders, and another elbowed me in the arm. I am still sore there. What the hell was he doing? He swung his arms down to defend a body attack, and got me on the arm as I was punching. That is actually a foul. He would have been called for that if there had been a referee present.
Anyway, I don't know what is happening at Stockyards until they re-open. Richard did want me to get my Boxing Ontario certification in October. He also wanted to start some sparring classes. He wants to get more guys in before he can start that. So, come on guys, join Stockyards. I need some more beginners to beat up. Just don't elbow me!

Paul "The Brick" Brec

No comments:

Post a Comment