ANNOUNCEMENTS

******** COMMENTS FROM THE RING IS PUBLISHED WEEKLY EXCLUDING HOLIDAYS ***** ********

ANNOUNCEMENTS 2

****** [EVENTS] ....**** ... * ********

Saturday, August 15, 2015

Lashed By the Wet Noodle

ENTRY 250


Lashed By the Wet Noodle

Okay. it wasn`t wet, but it still hurt.

On Thursday, I was doing some special training with Will.
Keep in mind, Will is a tough coach.
Anyway, we were doing this drill where he would try to hit you with these hard foam noodles, and you had to block it.
Well, it went great, until I forgot to block one.
I never realized up to that point, how much it hurt to get hit with a foam stick.




Will then had me spar Nick.
Will likes me to attack with my overhand right. Especially against Nick, since he has a habit of keeping his left guard low.
I did not want to nail Nick too hard, so I went a bit easy on him.
However, as I mentioned, Will is a tough coach. He did not like that I was easy on Nick.
I told Will that I did not want to put Nick to the canvas, and Will said, "Put him down!"
No. I am not going to do that during sparring. 
Sparring is for learning.


Goodbye Beth Tzedec, Hello Woodbine Beach

This Saturday will be my very last night shift at Beth Tzedec, as I have resigned from the security company that is contracted there.
I will be documenting it with a video that I will be sharing on ScrewTube.
Not that the average person cares, but I want to share what a security guard does at night. Since, believe it or not, we really do work!

It is a bittersweet ending to this job, as I really enjoyed working at Beth Tzedec, but it was very difficult getting by on just 16 hours a week. A problem that has not been resolved in over a month.

I finally got pissed off at Condor Security (I can mention the name now).

I applied for another job last Thursday. The HR manager called me on Friday, and wanted me to come for an interview on Saturday. After the interview, he said that he wanted to check references.
Nothing happened Sunday (no surprise), but on Monday, he called me and asked me to come in Tuesday and to bring my birth certificate, Social Insurance card, and a void cheque.
I went in with what he asked, read and signed a few papers, and then he told me to report to the site on Thursday for orientation.
According to the people who I listed as references, they were not contacted.

Wow. Exactly one week. That is one week from applying to actually starting work. That must be a record.
As of now, I am still in orientation, but the accounts manager called yesterday with my schedule.
Effective Monday, I will be on full-time rotating shifts on a 21-day cycle with slightly higher pay than what I was getting at Condor.
It works like this: three night shifts, day off, four afternoon shifts, two days off, three night shifts, day off, four afternoon shifts, three days off, then it starts over.
My three days off are Friday,Saturday, Sunday. Nice.
My only issue with this, it will affect my boxing training, since there are a few afternoon shifts.
I am going to talk to Coach Richard to see if there is another time I can come in for training on the days I have afternoon shifts.

My new location is across from Woodbine Beach.

This is a fairly quiet location in the evenings, except on Victoria Day when they have fireworks at Ashbridge's Bay.
From what other guards tell me, it is a major pain. People can't find places to park, so they block the entrance to the building, or even try to park in the building's underground. 
It is a huge pain to have to keep chasing people away.
Well, let's just hope I won't have to work Victoria Day.

I found that there are two ways to get there.
I can go to Coxwell station, and take the 22B to its terminal point, Eastern Avenue, then walk though Measurement Park, and the building is right there.
I could also go to Woodbine station, and take the 92, and it terminates at Lakeshore Loop, which is right across the street from the building.
Both buses are every 10 minutes until 1:30 in the morning, which is not bad.

I don't mind working in the east end, I just refuse to live there. I am quite happy in Etobicoke, thank you very much.

Next Boxing Card Announced

Stockyards' next card is announced for Thanksgiving weekend.
Both Richard and I will be looking for opponents. I mean, an opponent for myself.
Richard is not looking for an opponent for himself. He retired from boxing in 1993.

Keep checking here for more information as the date gets closer.

------------

Also, please don't forget to vote in the poll at the  upper right of this entry, about your favorite part of this blog.
"Comments From the Blue Corner" is now published twice a week, on Tuesdays and Saturdays.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
"The Brick" is looking for an opponent for Thanksgiving weekend.
If you are a registered Master, in Novice Division, 81 kg Class, and want to take on "The Brick", contact myself or Coach Richard Soucé.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++





"The Brick"
STATS
Record: 0 / 2 / 1 

 September 27 /2014 vs. Matt Standish [Loss by decision] @ 85 kg
 June 14 /2014  vs. Leo Ronin [Loss by decision] @ 86 kg
September 21 /2013 Exhibition @ 90 kg
Stance: Orthodox  (Left lead) / Style: Offensive-Aggressive
Status:  ACTIVE 
WEIGH-IN
*Daily within 2 weeks of a match, weekly otherwise.
   Current:  180 lbs / 81 kg 

MEDICAL
HR resting 60 - 64
HR stressed, on treadmill  128 - 130 
HR stressed, after sparring  132 - 138 




                                                                         
-----------------------------------------------
"The Brick", member of the Stockyards Boxing Team
Stockyards Boxing and Fitness, 215 Ryding Ave., Toronto
---------
Next scheduled bout: N/A
Training schedule: Under Review
Coach: Richard SoucĂ© 
----------------------------------------------------




THE BRICK'S LINKS

OTHER LINKS OF INTEREST


Fight Network TV channel dedicated to combat sports
Boxing Ontario  Regulatory body for amateur boxing in Ontario
Masters Division Boxing Site dedicated to boxers over age 35.

TORONTO BOXING GYMS

Atlas Boxing Club   (north)



No comments:

Post a Comment