ANNOUNCEMENTS

******** COMMENTS FROM THE RING IS PUBLISHED WEEKLY EXCLUDING HOLIDAYS ***** ********

ANNOUNCEMENTS 2

****** [EVENTS] ....**** ... * ********

Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Welcome Back and Welcome New (Boxers)

ENTRY 278


Welcome Back and Welcome New 

A buddy of mine has returned to Stockyards after a few weeks off.
Joe has returned. He is a former boxer from South America, and a really nice guy.
He is also a regular reader of this blog.
Hi Joe.
He also brought a friend who signed up on Monday.
Also a former boxer, who wants to try again.

We also saw another new guy register with us. Although, I really didn't get a chance to meet him.
Apparently, he is from Russia and has just moved to Canada.
He was a boxer in Russia, and wants to continue here in Toronto.

Welcome to all.
We at the Stockyards Boxing don't bite.
We punch.


Brampton Cup Training Update: It Keeps Going and Going...

We are continuing to work on defence a lot.
Will has been on my case about my hands being too low, and it has been a horrible habit of mine for a long time.
He has provided many helpful suggestions, and even said that if I didn't keep my hands up, he wouldn't coach me any more.
Well, he is right. I mean, that is a very important part of boxing. Especially going into something like the Brampton Cup.

I have noticed, and it was also pointed out to me that there has been improvement in my defence. I am remembering to keep my hands up more often. I am also remembering to keep my balance properly. I was able to do well, even while sparring.

While doing bag work, though, I have noticed that my left hook and left uppercut kind of suck.
My coaches do like my jab, and my "awesome and deadly" overhand right.
Right now I am not overly concerned with updating my hooks and uppercuts. I am concentrating on defence, because, ultimately, you can survive with a weak left attack, but weak defence will get you knocked right the 'F' out.

Once I am sure my defence is perfect, I will work more on offence.

I like using my favourite combination, Jab to the body and overhand right to the head.
That's it.
My "famous" two-punch combo that actually works quite well.

Coach Will also has me working on throwing double and triple jabs before the overhand.

Overall, lots of work done, and still lots to do. With just over two months until the Brampton Cup.

If I keep on this, I should not have any problems kicking butt.

Look out Brampton, 'The Brick' is coming!


Monday Sparring

Four rounds on Monday.

Two with Leo, where at one point I nailed him really good on the chin with my "awesome" overhand right.
Leo is easy to hit with that since he is southpaw, and the stupid way he holds his hands so high like an MMA guy.
I was really proud of that punch, actually.
If we were not wearing sparring gloves, he would have went down. For sure.

I also went two rounds with Oliver's dad.
He is a heavy hitter, but great for working on my defence. I was pleased that I did well at blocking most of his attacks.
He did do one thing rather odd. He held me against the ropes with is left arm outstretched, then tried to pull back, and nail me with a straight right.
It didn't work.
Besides, I think that is more of a street-fighting technique. I don't think it is allowed in boxing.
It was kind of funny, though.

Thank you for the good sparring. It really helps me work on what needs to be done for the tournament.


What Your Doctor Doesn't Know Won't Hurt Him

My physician asked me a rather odd (or maybe not) question the other day.
He asked me that when I box, do I wear a headgear?
Of course I told him I did. Then he noted it and put it in my file.
My question is, would it had been any different if I had said 'no'?
Keeping in mind that this is the same physician that signs my Boxing Ontario forms every year.

I am just putting that out there for other boxers. In case any of them are faced with the same question.
Since open class boxers don't wear headgear, and I was wondering how physicians feel about that. Maybe if they were aware, they could lean on Boxing Ontario to have the headgear reinstated.
A headgear does redirect some of the impact, so your brain is not getting the full shock from being hit. Therefore, amateur boxers, regardless of class, should always wear head protection.


======================================================





"The Brick" is an amateur boxer certified by:








REGISTRATION DUE: January 1




"The Brick" is a member of the Stockyards Boxing Team, and trains 4 times a week at:

215 Ryding Ave. Toronto

THIS GYM IS CURRENTLY UNDER REVIEW
OTHER GYMS BEING CONSIDERED:
SULLY'S, SIBERIA, CABBAGETOWN


"The Brick"
                                                                        





No comments:

Post a Comment