ANNOUNCEMENTS

******** COMMENTS FROM THE RING IS PUBLISHED WEEKLY EXCLUDING HOLIDAYS ***** ********

ANNOUNCEMENTS 2

****** [EVENTS] ....**** ... * ********

Friday, October 30, 2015

Progress Reports For Coaches, and Why Communication Is Important

ENTRY 271


New Idea: Progress Reports For Coaches

I came up with this idea this week as a way for me to grade Stockyards Boxing Gym. 
Actually, it can be used by any athlete for any sport.

As I have pointed out many times, the coaching standards at Stockyards has been slipping for about a year.

I have been studying this for a while, and the problem is not with the quality of coaching.
The coaches at Stockyards are very knowledgeable about the sport.
So, what is it?

Well, let me setup a bit of background, my background.
I have a post-secondary diploma in Communications and Broadcasting, which I knew would come in useful some day, and this is it.

Within my Communications program we had a required course in Social Science. Makes sense.
Anyway, within that course we were taught that people respond better to a positive influence than to a negative one.
Here is an example: A student is failing math, and the math teacher writes this on his report card: "Student is going to fail the course, because his math skills are crap."
How would the student respond to that?
Now, compare that to this scenario: The teacher writes this: "Student has a very good chance at passing this class, with a little work, we can make it happen."
How would the student respond to that?

In the first scenario, the teacher is not reporting, he is complaining. The student is receiving a negative influence, and will probably consider dropping the class.
In the second scenario, the teacher is providing not only positive feedback, but also encouragement.

Now, let's apply that to an athlete/coach situation.
For shits and giggles, it's a boxer and his coach.
Scenario one: Coach says to boxer, "No you can;t have a rematch, and I don't know if I will ever be able to find you another opponent, because your defense is shit."
I think the athlete would be right to want to tell the coach to 'take a hike' in that scenario.
Now, scenario two: Coach says to boxer: "Of course you can rematch, but there are a few things that we need to work on, so you can win your rematch."
It is clear that the second scenario would produce better results and higher output from the athlete in the future. 

All that being said, it is clear from the following report, that Stockyards failed.
The main reason for the fail, is that Richard scored very low in the areas where communicating with his athletes is important.
He is not a bad coach, but he is often harsh and hostile with his boxers.

You could be a genius, but if you can't communicate with people, you may as well be a moron.
Communications skills are very important in our society,especially for teachers, coaches, and supervisors. Clear, precise communication with "power" words to encourage people. That is how you get results.

Junmar scored average throughout the report, but was given low scores in a couple of areas, because I have noticed at times, he tends to ignore some of his boxers. I don't expect attention all the time. After all, it is not all about Paul. However, it is nice to be acknowledged occasionally. 
I have to say, Junmar is getting better at this. I actually changed one of his grades from a D+ to B- because he provided feedback a couple of days ago without being asked.

Will is a part-time coach at Stockyards and he was the best in October, scoring all "A's". However, since he is only there two times a week, his grades are only weighted at 20%, and so his high scores were not enough to pull Stockyards out of a failing grade.

My expectations are a "B-" average with no "F". An "F" is an automatic fail for the coach, regardless of how high his other scores are.
Since this is a new experiment, I am keeping the bar low, but it will be going up. Really a "B-" average is not really that high. Would you accept that on your child's report card?
I am not expecting an "A+". I don't think I am being unreasonable. However, it will be increasing to "B+".

Starting in November, this report will be created and published on the last day of every month for whomever my current coaches are. If coaches continue to miss my expectations, then I will consider looking for a different coach.

I put a lot of thought and work into this, because I want to save my relationship with Stockyards. I don't want to have to look for another coach, but as I mentioned before, I have to do what needs to be done to achieve my goals.

Richard and Junmar are not bad people. As a matter-of-fact they are my friends. Which is all the more reason I need to do this.
This report is not intended to upset anybody. It is intended to be constructive feedback,

Stockyards did not fail by much, and it will not take much for them to pass in November.

Here is Stockyards' report card for October:





How it works:

Each letter grade is assigned a number, and the numbers are used for averaging and weighting.

A+ = 14, A = 13, A- = 12, B+ = 11, B = 10, B- = 9, C+ = 8, C = 7, C- = 6, D+ = 5, D = 4, D- = 3, F = 0

An "F" score in any one category also means an automatic fail, regardless of the grades in other categories.
Should A Boxer Who Doesn't Train Properly Be Allowed To Compete?

As you can see, another reason Stockyards failed, was due to lack of standards.
It is clear that someone can show his face barely once a week, do a couple of rounds of sparring only, call it a big damn deal and then go home without doing anything else. That is not training for boxing. That is screwing around.
Then, that person gets to complete.
I'm sorry, that is not right, and it sends out a bad message to other athletes.

There needs to be a set standard that all the boxers must follow before being considered to compete. Hell, most boxing gyms won't even let you spar until you have done a whole lot of other training first.

We have a guy, Leo, who will be going to Orangeville next weekend to compete against the guy who stopped me on October 10.
That pisses me off. Leo comes into the gym barely once a week, and screws around.
It would be a bit different if he was there every day, and worked his butt off.

I hate to say it, and some may say that it is very nasty of me, but I am saying it anyway. Leo does not deserve to win. He doesn't deserve to compete, never mind win.
It is also important to point out that he has not won anything yet. Not surprising.
Actually, he should play hockey for the Maple Leafs.

I get angry and upset when I lose, because I work very hard at boxing. I even make sacrifices for boxing. Even work.
When I started this new job, I was offered either an afternoon shift or a night shift. You know, I took nights simply so it would not interfere with my boxing training?

If anyone at Stockyards deserves to win, it is I.

If Leo does win, highly unlikely, but if so, I tell you I am going to completely change my training regiment.
I will be changing it to the "I just don't give a flying fuck" regiment.

======================================



"The Brick" is an amateur boxer certified by:








REGISTRATION DUE: January 1




"The Brick" is a member of the Stockyards Boxing Team, and trains 4 times a week at:




215 Ryding Ave. Toronto




"The Brick"
                                                                        




No comments:

Post a Comment