ANNOUNCEMENTS

******** COMMENTS FROM THE RING IS PUBLISHED WEEKLY EXCLUDING HOLIDAYS ***** ********

ANNOUNCEMENTS 2

****** [EVENTS] ....**** ... * ********

Friday, October 2, 2015

Understanding Pre-Fight Anxiety

ENTRY 264


Preparing To Fight the Good Fight

Well, the big fight is just seven days away. 
It may seem that I am making a big deal of it, because to me it is.
In my division, it is very hard to get an opponent. While the younger guys see competition every month or more, I am lucky to get in the ring once year, twice if lucky. When it does happen it is a big thing.
Also, this is the first time that I will be competing against an opponent from outside Toronto whom I don't know.
I am also coming off a losing streak, that I desperately need to correct.

I am getting a lot of coaching from Richard and Will right now, and I am practicing everything they teach, 
This is so important to me.
I need to prove to the coaches, to myself, and to the non-believers out there, that I can do this. I can beat Orangeville, and make orange juice out of that guy.
 
Pre-Fight Anxiety and Excitement Kicking In

I don't know if this is just something that happens in boxing, or maybe just me with so few chances to compete, but I tend to get anxiety attacks within about a week of a bout.  

There is a bit of excitement at first, with the thought of competition. It builds until the day of the bout.

On that day, even while standing in line to weigh-in, the thought of stepping into the ring to represent your club is very exciting.
However, while you are warming up, and then the coach comes over to you and says, "You're up". At that point, excitement begins to become anxiety, as you realize that in just a few minutes, you will become the centre of attention.
The coach leads you to the ring, with all eyes on you. Some chant your name, some chant the other boxer's name. Either way, you can't shake the feeling of constantly being watched, because you are!

You enter the ring, and the ropes close behind you. Now, you are in your comfort zone, you think. The ropes closing you off from the chanting and cheering audience. 
Now, they can't hurt me. They are out there, and I am in here.
I'm safe...
You look across the ring, and realize...
The audience is no longer a threat. The man standing across from you is now the threat.
Now, the anxiety shifts from outside the ring to inside.
Reality clicks in.
Now I need to stop worrying about what the audience thinks, and start worrying about not getting knocked onto my ass. 

The anxious feelings started this past Wednesday.
I had a dream about my upcoming match.
It did not take place at George Bell Arena. It was in a very large room with a lot of windows. It kind of reminded me of one of the halls at the Toronto Convention Centre,
I had arrived there at 11:30 in the morning, although weigh-in wasn't until 6 PM. Coach Richard was there, and all I did the whole time was shoot the shit with him until weigh-in time.
After weigh-in, Richard told me that my bout was cancelled because my opponent did not show.
I was pissed, "I waited here for eight hours, and he didn't show up! Asshole!"

Yeah. That was just a dream, but with my luck, that is exactly what will happen. Just like in the spring when that guy from Mississauga backed out at the last minute.

Gym On Saturday, I Guess

Coach Richard came into the gym for just a few minutes on Thursday. He did some work at his desk, and then pointed to each boxer, you, you, you, you (me), you, you, Saturday morning at ten, and then he left.
I guess I'm going to Stockyards on Saturday morning.


========================================



"The Brick" is an amateur boxer certified by:














"The Brick" is a member of the Stockyards Boxing Team, and trains 4 times a week at:




215 Ryding Ave. Toronto





"The Brick"

Stance: Orthodox  (Left lead) 
 Style: Offensive-Aggressive
Status:  ACTIVE 
WEIGH-IN
   Current:  188 lbs / 84 kg 
                                                                        




No comments:

Post a Comment